Can I Use Silverdene if I Am Allergic to Sulpha? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op from a breast lift and aug and am having difficulty healing several wounds from the incisions of an anchor lift...primarily at the base but also along the center line and at the base of the nipple....my PS said to be patient He sent me home with betadine and gauze to change the wounds 2x daily...they are partially white and oozy and sometimes bleed. I don't feel like they are getting any better. Is there any ointment I can use to help close the wounds and speed up recovery?

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+2
Simple answer, if you have a real allergy than you should deffinately not use the cream as you could have a severe life threatning reaction 

Wound care for Breast Augmentation

+2

I advise my patients that are 5 weeks post op, should use Bacitracin to promote regenerative healing with a breast augmentation.

Todd Ginestra, MD
Clermont Plastic Surgeon

Care for open wounds following a breast augmentation and lift

+2

Unfortunately only time will heal your open wounds.  Meticulous wound care is needed.  Personally I do not like betadine on open wounds as it decreases epithelization.  A petroleum based antibiotic ointment like bacitracin may be the best choice considering your allergy to sulfa.  

Delayed healing

+2

I wouldn't recommend you use the silverdene due to your sulpha allergy  . Ointment based antibiotics work very good in this cases . Usually cleaning the wounds  with  water   , drying with gauze and applying a coat of bacitracin / neomicin ointment and covering with sterile gauze ( to keep your clothes clean  ), once a day , should give you good results and complete healing in a couple of weeks . Adding a multivitamin supplement to your diet could also help with the healing process. Best wishes

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

Management of Incision Line Separations after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+2

I am sorry to hear about the complications you are experiencing. No, you will not be able to use silvadene if you have an allergy to sulfa containing antibiotics.  Given your question and concerns, I would suggest that you communicate with your plastic surgeon and ask if he has any other recommendations for you.  I am sure that he will understand your questions are based on anxiety and a desire to expedite wound healing. Doing so will be more appropriate than receiving advice from online consultants. 

Wound healing after mastopexy does not require antibiotic ointment.

+1

If you are allergic to an antibiotic ointment it is not necessary to use it for wound care. Keeping wound clean and protected is the best you can do.

Silvadene and a Sulfa allergy.

+1

If you have a sulfa allergy, do not use silvadene. Silvadene has sulfa in it and can worsen a situation due to the allergic reponse. Keep close communication with your surgeon while you heal and be sure to follow up.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Can I Use Silverdene if I Am Allergic to Sulpha

+1

You should not use silvadene if you have a sulfa allergy. If you are not making adequate progress, discuss options with your surgeon. 

Silvadene cream and sulfa allergy

+1

If you have a sulfa allergy then you can not use silvadene cream.. There are many different treatments for open wounds but it is customized to the goals to get the wound to heal efficiently.

Can I Use Silverdene if I Am Allergic to Sulpha?

+1

Silvadene (Silver Sulfadiazine) has sulfa in it! So if allergic to sulfa than you CAN NOT apply this cream!!!