Silver Nitrate Used for Granulated Tissue After Rhinoplasty Burned my Nostril and Turned It Black, Will This Go Away??

Doctor said I had granulated tissue after rhinoplasty so he gave me silver nitrate sticks. I think I put it to my skin too long because its black and very painful. It's now 2 days later and some of the black had gone away but it still hurts and is black around the edges of my nostril. Will this heal? Skin seems to be peeling inside.

Skin Stained Black From Silver Nitrate Used After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi SG,   I once treated a 13 year old with a nose bleed on a Thursday.  Silver Nitrate cauterization was used inside the nose on the nasal septum where the bleeding was coming from.  The next day I recieved a call of panic from his mother who told me that he had a black moustache ("like Adolph Hitler"), and that his Bar Mitzvah was the next day.  I learned from that experience that using Clorox bleach can remove the blackness of silver nitrate on the skin (some have used ammonia).  The black skin from the silver nitrate would have eventually faded away without any treatment.   I would not recommend that it be used inside the nose or around any incisions, and I would definitely speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon before doing anything....as long as your Bar Mitzvah is not tomorrow!   Good luck and be well.   Dr. P

Rhinoplasty and Silver Nitrate Sticks

+2

I am surprised that your Plastic Surgeon would give you the silver nitrate sticks to use.  In spite of that, you should heal just fine.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Silver Nitrate After Rhino #nosejob

+1

The good news is yes. That is the reaction that occurs when silver nitrate is used. I do it all the time for wound care. It will go a way.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Granulation tissue after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Sg1522,

1. If is continues to be painful, you should see your surgeon
  2. The black skin will flake off when it heals over, usually lasts a few days
  3. Be careful with those sticks, the silver nitrate can run over the lip and cause a burn

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

+1

Granulation tissue once treated may appear stained for several days.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Silver nitrate to an open granuloma of the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

Silver nitrate is good to reduce a pyogenic granuloma of the nose.  This should be applied by the surgeon and is generally not for patient self application.  The black color is normal and it will go away in about one week.  

Silver Nitrate

+1

It always turns the skin dark but goes away completely in about 7 days or so. Continue to clean it with hydrogen peroxide and apply Vaseline or an antibiotic ointment. Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will heal perfectly

+1

Congrats on your surgery. You will heal just fine. Hope you love it!! If you have any concerns speak with your surgeon. 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Silver nitrate sticks an unusual adjunct to rhinoplasty.

+1

Silver nitrate does turn things black. I'm not sure what role it has after rhinoplasty but I would anticipate that you will heal just fine.