Silver in Gum Tissue?

After having a porcelain crown replace a large filling, I have tiny silver specks in the surrounding gum tissue. Why ? And can I remove the specks?

Silver specks!!!

+1

Dear Crotto,

As I have read some of the previous answers; I CONQUER.  If these specks are in the gum as black/purple shadow with no regular shape, they are Amalgam tattoos.  They lodge themselves in the gum during placement of a silver (amalgam) filling.  They cause no harm. However, I do recommend you have a dentist confirm this.

Hope this helps,

David SIlber, DMD

Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Silver in gum tissue

+1

I am going to assume that you had a silver filling in the tooth.  In most cases you have what is called amalgam tattoo, . In my opinion they normally won't cause any harm

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Silver in my gums?

+1

In most cases you have what is called amalgam tattoo, removing maybe worse than leaving alone. In my opinion they normally won't cause any harm. Good Luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Amalgam tattoo

+1

Sometimes amalgam gets pushed into the gum tissues and can effectively tattoo them.  Most often leaving it alone presents no big issue, but removal CAN be done.  However, it would require a surgery, which could be painful and expensive.

Give it some time and see if it was only on TOP of the tissues and not IN the tissues and will just go away.

Web reference: http://www.SeattleDentalOffice.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist