Effects of Silicone on the Thick Skin at Nose Tip

my nose is extremely thick nd i been told no amount of cartilage crafting or grafts will help.i know SI is disliked because it can lead to infection and more importantly,skin thinning.i have to ask,is this such a bad thing for a thick skin person like myself?would the idea of "prepping" my skin with an SI implant,hoping in time my skin will thin, then heading for a revision later in life save a surgeon from having to "defat" my thick skin, which is what almost seems mandatory with my skin

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The treatment plan you describe would not be one that I recommend in my practice. While you can get skin thinning with a silicone implant, the amount of thinning is unpredictable. I would certainly suggest visiting with a rhinoplasty specialist to determine what might be a reasonable course of action for you.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Silicone implants for nasal augmentation are not the best solution.  A better solution is cartilage grafting.  Thinning the skin is not a good idea.

Silicone Implants in Rhinoplasty

+1

Use of silicone implants, especially in the nasal tip, is fraught with complications. Although you present an interesting idea, this would not be a technique I would embrace or employ in my practice.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Augmentation with Silicone Implants

+1

Regarding: "my nose is extremely thick nd i been told no amount of cartilage crafting or grafts will help.i know SI is disliked because it can lead to infection and more importantly,skin thinning.i have to ask,is this such a bad thing for a thick skin person like myself?would the idea of "prepping" my skin with an SI implant,hoping in time my skin will thin, then heading for a revision later in life save a surgeon from having to "defat" my thick skin, which is what almost seems mandatory with my skiin"

The skin of the nose does NOT have a uniform thickness; it is thickest at the tip and thinner along the upper nose. I disagree with the comment that "no amount of cartilage crafting or grafts will help" as I agree with the simplistic concept that a large silicone implant would predictably "prep" your nose for cartilage grafts in the future.

There is no doubt that silicone nasal implants are better tolerated in certain ethic groups than others. They are commonly used in Asia. But, the vast majority of these implants EVENTUALLY have to be removed due to irreparable skin thinning and ulceration as well as infection. I am not aware of American Plastic surgeons who recommend using these implants knowing their track record and the certainty that next time they see you, you will require a much more complex reconstructive operation.

Dr. Peter Aldea