Is Silikon Legal in Every U.S. State?

A Florida doctor did unsatisfactory silikon injections in my lips for $750. He is refusing to see me for follow up. Is silikon legal in some states and not in others? Please advise.

Read my lips, "Silicone please"

+1

As a board-certified ophthalmologist, I can assure you that silicone is approved in every state for use during vitreoretinal surgeries such as retinal detachment repair.  Its has been around a very long time, and is very well-tolerated by the body.  Therefore, it doubles wonderfully as a dermal filler.  As a facial plastic surgeon, I can tell you that we have used it for years in the face with excellent results especially in the lips or areas where a softer feel is desired.  However, it also functions well to build structures, such as mounds on a chin (popular with our male patients looking for a little tougher look).  The price you paid is also what we charge per injection session and typically more than one is required as it is permanent.  Therefore, we under fill a bit and allow the body to surround it and add to the effect, adding more over time as needed.

Pensacola Oculoplastic Surgeon

Silikon 1000 -- off label use as a dermal filler

+1

I have used Silikon 1000 for several years now.  It is not approved for use as a dermal filler, but it is FDA approved (nationwide) for intraocular eye surgery.  I have used it for years as a dermal filler.   This is an off label use of an FDA approved medicine and is really no different than using Botox to treat wrinkles in the Crow’s feet, when it is only FDA approved for use between the eyebrows.  While it is controversial, there are many physicians (and patients) who are very happy with it when used as a dermal filler by an experienced physician.     

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Silikon (silicone) injection to the face.

+1

Silikon is approved by the FDA in all states for opthalmological indications. However, it is used "off label" for injection as a filler for the face.