Is Silikon 1000 a safer permanent filler compared to artefill?

I'm seeking a permanent non-surgical nose job filler. However after reading many reviews on artefill, it seems like granulomas are common. A few surgeons have told me that granulomas were common with the old artefill formula but not with the new one. I do see that silkon-1000 is often used for non-surgical rhinoplasty and the percentage of satisfaction seems much higher. Is silikon 1000 safer than artefill? If injected correctly would granulomas still occur several years down the line?

Silikon-1000 is considered very safe for non-surgical rhinoplasty.

+1
Dear Anonymousgirl89:

Some people have granulomas with Artefill;  plus, how long Artefill lasts is somewhat variable. Silikon-1000 has been successfully used for over 50 years in the United States; Silikon-1000 is the trade name for medical-grade silicone, an FDA-approved product for inside the eyeball. But it is appropriately used, off-label, as a microdroplet injection underneath the skin of the nose.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty works because tiny drops of Silikon 1000 are injected just under the nasal skin. Over time, the body walls off those drops with new tissue which provides the plumping action to fill in divots or marks in the nose. The same effect can happen with plain salt water to provide a preview how the nose will look on completion of treatment. The Kotler Saline Demo lasts perhaps two hours, but long enough to take a photo of what the finished nose will look like.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Artefill compared to Silikon 1000

+1
I believe that several clarifications to be made to your excellent question. Artefill contains polymethyl methacrylate as the permanent component. Any time that a foreign material is  injected the body's response can be an inflammatory granuloma. Very specifically, Artefill (as opposed to Artecoll) has been formulated and mandated by the FDA to contain a small size of microspheres (30-50 microns) so that granuloma reactions are very INFREQUENT. I have been injecting Artefill since 1987 not having seen any foreign body granulomas. For a larger volume augmentation such as a "non-surgical" rhinoplasty I feel comfortable with Artefill, and certainly more comfortable than any "microdroplet" technique that I am able to generate with Silikon 1000 that I also inject. By the way, the only foreign body reaction I have seen to a filler was with Sculptra - a non-permanent colllagen inducer substance.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon