Is It Okay to Have Silikon 1000 Injected Days Before a Rhinoplasty?

I'd like to have some more facial volume ,and also a rhinoplaty plus a chin reduction but since this increases swelling it would take many months until i would be able to get the silikon 1000 injections done, am i correct about this?

Silicone is safe for injection, but probably not ideal right before surgery

+3

Silicone is a safe option for facial filling.  It is an ideal nasal filler option, especially after rhinoplasty to "tweak" the results.  It can be quite useful for facial injections as well.

I'd like to comment on a previous plastic surgeon's strong opinions against silicone.  Dr. Jay Barnett in NYC is the world's leading authority on cosmetic and reconstructive facial silicone injections.  He has been performing injections for the past 40 years, and at the 2009 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery he was a keynote speaker and reported no episodes of granulomatous inflammation in his practice ever.  Please see his website for more information.  Also, Jacinto reported in 2005 in the the journal Dermatologic Surgery a 10 year follow up of 200+ patients.  2 percent had transient inflammation, with resolution. There are many stories and reports of problems with silicone injections- these cases are typically performed by non-medical specialists using non-medical grade silicone.  Finally, the previous plastic surgeon reports that you should only seek out care from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  There are many other "Board Certified" specialists that are more than qualified to perform cosmetic work on the face, as evidenced by the specialties recongnized and promoted by this website.

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Avoid silicone injections

+1

IMHO, you should avoid all silicone injections...do a quick web search on the complications of silicone injections.  If you want to improve your facial shape, consider cheek augmentation with temporary fillers like Radiesse, Perlane or Sculptra or Cheek Implants.

Silicone can and does create inflammation in the tissue that is unpredicatable and can occur at anytime for many months.  Think long and hard if this is something that you'd want for the rest of your life in your face.

+1

No to risky before a major facial surgery. Why not wait until 3 to 6 months following this operations you are planning? 

Stay away from Silicone injection

+1
I am not sure who is going to inject silicone (Silikon 1000) to your face. Ask the injector if he or she has injected his or her family member with silicone. Do not let them confuse you with talks about the difference between silicone and Silikon. The problem with nonabsorbable material is the long term complications( 10-15) years later. These material are not removable. Make sure your surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon and you can get FDA clearance status of the Silikon. FDA approved it for retinol detachment and not for lip or face injections. Your doctor may say that we always do off the label injections ,but permanent filler that has failed in the past is different. Please do your home work and ask questions now rather than later.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should not have any injection into your face before surgery as this may cause inflammation. I would not have silicone injected into tha face for cosmetic reason as this is permanent and can migrate as well as cause low grade inflammation.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

It would be best to have Silikon-1000 cheek augmentation several months after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. You will experience transient cheek swelling after your Rhinoplasty Surgery, and it would be best for all of this swelling to resolve before proceeding with Silikon-1000 injections to your cheeks. I would not suggest having the silicone injection performed immediately before your planned nasal and chin surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon