If Silikon 1000 is a Good Permanent Solution (Eye Trough Area), Why Use Other Fillers?

I see a lot about Silikon 1000 as a permanent filler for treatment of the under eye area, such as the eye trough. It also has a very high rating on here at 89% positive. However, I still see doctors mainly using Restyland or Juvederm. Why is that?

Silikon 1000 Great Filler in Hands of Well-Trained Physicians

+3

In my opinion, very few doctors use Silikon 1000 as a filler for two reasons: one, they are not trained; and two,  they have been misinformed as to the safety and efficacy of Silikon 1000 as a filler.  I can only say that I learned from the world's authority on liquid injectable silicone  (my father and mentor, Jay G. Barnett MD) and it is my filler of choice for everything as it is safe, permanent, precise and gives very natural-appearing results.  In the hands of a well-trained, board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon, experienced in injecting Silikon 1000, it is an ideal filler.  Unfortunately, there are many physicians and non-physicians who are inexperienced and are injecting it improperly.  Any filler injected by a poorly-trained person (who may not even be a board-certified physician) can cause problems.  

Silikon 1000 is a great permanent filler for everything

+2

I agree with the reply by Dr. Barnett that Silikon 1000 is a safe, permanent filler which gives natural results everywhere.  I disagree with her only that she fails to mention that oculo-facial surgeons and physicians of other specialties can also be expert in this technique (especially but not exclusively in the tear trough).  I too learned my technique through the teachings of her father.

But to answer the question further, Silikon 1000 may not be for everyone.  It must be given in divided sessions, spaced 4-8 weeks apart, and usually takes 2-4 sessions to achieve the desired result.  A quicker, less costly, and comparable result, can be achieved with the HA fillers like Restylane and Juvederm.  These, of course, have the distinct disadvantage of being temporary.  The 89% "Worth It" rating on this forum attests to the overall satisfaction of patients who receive Silikon 1000.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon