Can silicone strips be applied over steri-strips?

I had a tummy tuck three weeks ago. The steri-strip is still very much attached over the incision. I wanted to start using silicone gell strips at four weeks and wonder if I can use the silicone strip over the steri-strip and if it would be effective if used over the steri-strip.

Silicone Sheeting On Tummy Tuck Steristrips

+1
Silicone sheeting can only be used once the steristrips have fallen off and the wound is closed. They won't be effective placed over the steristrips.

Silicone strips over steri strips

+1

The silicone sheeting will not be effective if placed over the steri strips.  You may want to contact your physician about when to remove the steri strips.  We generally leave them on for about 7-10 days.  You may be able to remove them, but check with your surgeon to be sure.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Silicone strips over steri-strips

+1

While I like steri-strips, in my practice, I never leave them for more than one week.  After that, they start getting cruddy.  I tell my patients that, if the steri-strips are still there after a week, they can just pull them off like a band-aid.  It won't hurt anything.  That's what I do in MY practice.  Your doctor may have a different opinion.  My suggestion would be to call his/her office and see what he/she recommends.  Silicone strips will work better in direct contact with the skin rather than through the steri-strips.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

​Silicone Gel Sheeting and Taping to Improve The Appearance of Scars

+1

The silicone gel sheet/strip will not be effective over the steri strip. The silicone gel strip should be applied directly over clean skin after all crusting/scabbing has resolved. It should be worn for at least 12 hours per day, but longer is probably better.

The steri strip you have in place now is functioning in a similar fashion to the silicone gel strip. And you could choose to use paper tape over your scar for a few months after surgery (in place of the silicone gel strip), as it should work in a similar manner.

Scar massage is also helpful to reduce swelling deep to the scar, and I usually have my patients start scar massage 3 weeks after surgery. Your doctor should be able to instruct you on the details of these techniques.

Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

+1
The silicone strips will not be effective over the steri-strips. At three weeks from surgery, your surgeon may be willing to remove these at this time and also allow silicone strips.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS