Can Silicone Sheeting Be Used on Old Keloid Scars?

I developed a keloid scar on my stomach after undergoing surgery three years ago and I developed another keloid scar after undergoing a partial mastectomy three months ago. My dermatologists/surgeons at the time told me that there was nothing I could do to minimize the appearance of the scars, so I accepted it and did not try to find a remedy. Recently, however, I learned that silicone sheeting effectively reduces keloid size. Are my keloids too "old" for me to attempt to use the sheets? Is there another option for me?

Silicone Sheeting for keloid scars

+1

Keloid and hypertrophic scars can be improved by the administration of pressure, silicone sheeting, injection of cortisone, and surgery. The scars depicted above are hypertrophic scars that exhibit excessive collagen deposition within the dermis. Silicone sheeting is optimal for these scars but will not improve the width of the scar as it is already and irreversibly widened.

Old keloids can respond to silicone sheeting

+1

The mechanism of action of silicone sheeting on keloids is not completely understood. However, it is felt that even old or mature scars can benefit from this therapy. Therefore, I would recommned that you give it a trial. It will likely take at least 4-6 weeks to see any improvement. Also consider steroid injections. If they remain severe, you may want to consider 5-FU injections. Silicone sheeting should be used for 4-9 months.