Silicone or Saline For Revision After 9 Years?

consult w/PS 9 yr replacement, main concern, rippling/size. did not mention much about correcting the rippling and states we could go big. he did my surgery 9 yrs ago so he should have known about the size i could go to and since i was concerned about rippling he did not explain to me that silicone would help. i am 5'6 at 108 and wanted at least a DD. 2 mo's later have rippling and really have no noticable change in size. have mentor high profile 450 w/540. add more cc or change to silicone?

Silicone Implants

+2

Silicone implants would be the best plan to decrease rippling especially someone your size.  In our practice we perform alot of breast augmentations and about 95% of those procedures are silicone.  The only time that we usually use saline is when it is a cost issue to the patient or the patient is not 22 years of age or older

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs silicone

+1

There is no question that silicone is the best. They rarely ripple and, if there is enouigh breast tissue and fatty tissue, you can put them under the breast. But if you have little soft tissue, then under the muscle. I would not use high profile.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs. Saline for Revision Breast Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your questions.  

Online consultations, unfortunately, will not provide you with enough precise information to be helpful in your case.  Revisionary surgery can be complicated and I suggest that you learn about all the pros and cons of saline vs. silicone breast implants and visit with several well experienced, board certified plastic surgeons and make your decisions carefully. You may also find the attached link, discussing the pros/cons of saline versus silicone breast implants, helpful

Silicone or Saline For Revision After 9 Years

+1

Rippling can occur with either saline or gel implants. The probability of rippling will increase with implant size. We would suggest that you consider moving after you heal to gel implants and discuss the placement position of the implants with your surgeon.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1

To avoid rippling in our practice we place the implants under the muscle, silicone gel has less noticable rippling with women that have minimal breast tissue.  A smaller implant helps to so he edges are covered more readily with your own tissue and muscle.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Avoiding Rippling

+1

Both silicone and saline implants can produce rippling in a very thin woman with little breast tissue.  The larger implant size, the greater risk of rippling.  That being said you already have high profile saline implants which produce the least amount of rippling in a saline implant.  Your implants are already over filled, so increasing volume will most likely not help with rippling.  I would recommend trying silicone implants but do not increase your size (much if not at all) to avoid rippling.  You are only 2 months post op so you should also wait another few months before switching out implants because you do not have your final result at 2 months post op.  Your capsule should still be forming so keep your breasts well supported with good bra support at all times.

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Silicone vs saline implants

+1

Silicone and saline implants offer different things. It really is up to you which one you prefer. The discussion about how to choose is really bigger than what I would write in this small box.

Silicone implants better than saline for improvement of rippling

+1

As a general rule, silicone implants tend to ripple less than saline implants. Another general rule is that larger implants place more stress on the tissues around the implants, leading to more thinning and visibility of the ripples. Your saline implants are already overfilled so adding more volume would not be an option in my opinion.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1

If you main concerns were rippling and size, then a high profile implant is appropriate.  However, rippling is much more common in saline implants.  Overfilling saline implants just makes them ripple or scallop more.  They need to be filled withing the recommended fill range.  At this point, if the ripling is still a concern, then best option is to switch to silicone.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Silicone Implants

+1

2 months after surgery is too soon to determine the final outcome from your surgery. I would wait at least 1 more month to make a final decision.

If then you do not see a change, then increasing your implant size and using a silicone implant would benefit you although silicone may ripple as well. There is a lesser chance than saline but you are very thin and may experience this with either implants. I would have recommended silicone implants, under the muscle to give the optimal results given your height and weight.

Leo Lapuerta, MD