Is Silicone or Saline to Best to Correct Breast Asymmetry?

I am starting my consultations this week and I'm concerned if I should get silicone or saline implants. My left breast is about a small B and my right is a small A cup. I have been wanting to go with silicone but now I'm wondering if I should get the saline due to the fact the doctor can fill them once the empty implant is in place to create better symmetry... Please let me know what you think and I'm sure the doctors at my consults will tell me as well, I just want to have an idea before hand.

Silicone or Saline Breast Implants can correct Breast Asymetry Technique is most important

+2

Either Silicone or Saline Breast Implants may be used to successfully correct a Breast Asymmetry.

You are correct that Saline Breast Implants can be adjusted which is an advantage but most patients today prefer the natural feel of the Silicone Gel Breast Implants.

I generally do not use different size Breast Implants on the same patient. Different sized Breast Implants can be visibly different because of variation in the size and shape of the base of the Breast Implant.

The key is to find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who knows how to achieve the result that you want.

If there is a significant asymmetry or other deformity such as Tubular Breast other procedures such as Soft Tissue Expansion or Mastopexy or reduction on one side may be necessary.

You need to find an expert

Silicone or saline for breast asymmetry

+2

The saline implants is adjustable, however the silicone comes in just about any size you could need. You can have an excellent result with either. I may come down to your comfort level with the gel, and the coverage available over the implant.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Silicone vs. saline for breast asymmetry

+2

Breast asymmetry can be treated with either silicone or saline implants.  Although the saline can be more easily adjusted with very slight volume modifications, sizers can be used before and during surgery to determine the implant sizes that give the best result.  Sometimes, in cases of severe asymmetry  the breasts actually need different operations, like an augmentation on one side and an augmentation with a lift on the other.  Again, either implant works fine.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Saline or Silicone Breast Implants for Asymmetry?

+2

In regards to symmetry issues,  both saline and silicone breast implants can be used to help improve symmetry. Obviously, saline breast implants can be adjusted to specific volume but I think both types of implants  can help improve symmetry (with the use of different sizes and/or models in each breast).

Some general information regarding saline versus silicone breast implants may be useful to you:

The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Asymmetry of breasts can be corrected

+1

Asymmetry of the size and shape of your breasts can be corrected by plastic surgery.  If there is only a difference in size, but generally they look the same, then just augmentation of just the smaller side could correct the asymmetry.  If you want to go larger on both sides, that is possible also.  Since it is difficult to determine exactly what sizes you need to correct the asymmetry, it may be better to use saline implants which are easily adjusted in size after they have been placed in the breast pockets.  Then both sides can be adjusted so that they appear to be the same size.  Silicone implants have fixed sizes which often have to be determined beforehand.  It is possible to use different size sizers to pick the correct size for you while on the table too.

James Tang, MD

Either could be a great option

+1

I agree with previous answers.  You should be able to get a great result and improvement in symmetry no matter which implant you choose, saline or silicone.  Gather all the information about both implants during your consultation, weigh the pro's and con's of each implant and then make your final decision.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

+1

Both saline and silicone implants will work to correct asymmetry. You will find that the surgeons you speak with will likely have a bias based on their training and experience. I suggest you read about the different implants and prepare some questions about issues such as leaking, rippling and follow-up.

William H. Gorman, MD

Saline Implants versus Silicone Implants for Breast Asymmetry

+1

Although saline implants can be filled to  specific volume, there are many different sizes of silicone gel implants. Both saline and silicone gel implants can be used to correct breast asymmetry. Depending on your breast envelope one implant maybe better suited to your body and you may need or consider a breast lift if there is ptosis. Hope that help, Ankit Desai, MD, Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Silicone or saline

+1

There are too many pros and cons for each implant to go into here.  First off you have to be 22 to have silicone implants.  Next I would recommend you go to. breastimplantinfo.com for a knowledgeable review of the differences.  Then listen to your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation to make an imformed decision.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

What Is Better For Breast Asymmetry, Saline Or Silicone?

+1

Both are very good at correcting breast size asymmetry. Saline is easier to use for slight volume differences because it is adjustable. However, in my experience, these small differences are difficult to detect with the naked eye anyways. Discuss the merits of both types with your surgeon and I'm sure they will be able to improve your asymmetry with either saline or silicone. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon