Does Silicone Ripple Less Than Overfilled Saline?

I went for my first consult last week and I was unfortunately told that I am not a good candidate for saline due to being thin and having only a small amount of breast tissue. I am 5'2", 104 lbs, 32 A with a 28 inch ribcage, 36 years old, some deflation of upper-pole from BF 2 kids but not really any sag. He said saline implants might look good for 1 or 2 years but then I would likely have rippling. He suggested 325-375 HP silicone to get me to a full C. Does this all sound accurate to you?

Silicone gel implants vs. overfilled saline implants for rippling

+4

Silicone gel implants generally ripple less than saline implants.

Overfilled saline implants can appear too round in some patients.  It is generally better to stick to the manufacturer's recommendations for filling guidelines.

Patients with thin skin are better off with slightly smaller silicone implants.  This minimizes exposure of the implant and rippling.

Unfortunately, rippling can not be completely eliminated in many thin patients with small amounts of natural breast tissue.  As you can see from red carpet pictures, even those patients with the most beautiful breasts have rippling.

Gel vs. Saline filled implant

+2

An overfilled saline filled implant in a thin patient is not a good idea. The implant can look to round and it increases the risk of rippling along the edges of the implant.  If you are thin and your breast is going to be more implant than you then you will always do better with a gel filled implant.  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Silicone vs Saline implants

+2

In my opinion, overfilling saline implants beyond the manufacturer's recommendations is not advisable.  However, I am a proponent of filling the saline implants to the maximum allowable volume that is recommended.  Silicone implants do have a lesser tendency to ripple than properly filled saline implants.  For thin women with a paucity of breast and soft tissue coverage, placing a silicone/gel implant under the muscle would give the most natural result in most cases. 

John Burns, MD

Rippling of Breast Implants

+1

Generally, silicone breast implants tend to “ripple” lesson saline breast implants. However, significantly overfilled saline implants tend to ripple less sense to local gel breast implants ( these overfilled saline filled implants however can be very firm).

Palpability  and rippling of breast implants may be related to several factors. These include the amount of soft tissue and breast tissue coverage over the breast implants, the position of the breast implants (submuscular versus sub glandular), the type of implants (saline versus silicone), and the degree of overfilling of saline filled implants. Generally, weight loss will extension weight any rippling/palpability  of the implants.  Deflation of the implants will also increase the rippling/palpability of the implants.

Avoiding high profile implants for a tear-drop beautiful shape

+1

I would absolutely agree with avoiding Saline implants, but would think carefully about high profile implants and submuscular placement.  Usually high profile implants in that range are too narrow to fill up a natural breast footprint.  I prefer to use lower profile implants and shape the implant into a wide circle at the bottom that tapers to a teardrop at the top.  This is achieved with subfascial placement.  I use my own version called 'cold-subfascial' placement that allows me to create this natural shape and offer my patients the long term support of an internal brassiere of fascia.  Make sure the implants have sufficient base width to give you full breasts!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Silicone gel implants ripple less than saline implants

+1

Silicone gel implants definitely ripple less than saline implants.  Overfilling saline implants by up to 10 or 15% will reduce rippling.  However, overfilling by 25% or more may paradoxically increase rippling and will cause your implants to be firmer than you may like.

Even overfilled saline implants ripple more than silicone gel implants.  

If you decide upon saline implants, they will ripple far less when placed under muscle (rather than above muscle) because the muscle adds a layer of camouflage.  I would also consider an overfill of up to 10 to 15%.

Ronald Friedman, MD

Saline vs. Silicone for Rippling

+1

Typically, silicone tend to ripple less than saline.  That being said, any implant can ripple.  This is especially true in thin women.  Placing the implant under the muscle may also help hide the implant and decrease rippling.  Best to see a few board certified plastic surgeons.  Take photos with you of what you might want to look like.  Please have reasonable expectations.  Together you and the plastic surgeon can make an appropriate decision.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Silcone vs. Saline Breast Implant Rippling

+1

I agree with previous posts:  in general, silicone breast implants tend to ripple less than saline breast implants, even when the saline breast implants are filled to the maximum recommended volume or slightly over filled.

Additionally, to minimize the appearance of ripples and palpable implant edges, breast implants on thin women should generally be placed under the muscle.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Breast Implant Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida  

Jaime Perez, MD

Rippling of saline and silicone breast implants

+1

Silicone breast implants tend to ripple less than saline implants, even when overfilled. Silicone implants also feel more natural than saline implants, and may be preferable in very thin patients or those with little breast tissue.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Rippling

+1

Rippling occurs less often with silicone implants and alsoless with those placed under the muscle.  As for the correct isze for you, I could only be sure after an exam.