Why Silicone Instead of Rib Cartilage for a Revision Rhinoplasty?

Had a revision rhinoplasty and he said he could not use ear cartilage because it wasn't strong enough so he went with some silicone. Why did he choose silicone verses rib cartilage? Any negative effects with the silicone I should be concerned about? Why is he so opposed to rib cartilage? I had a piggish, bulbous nose and he needed to project my nose. He also stated that if I were to massage my nose a certain way I could bring down my nostrils a bit because my nose is still soft??? True or not?

Silicone vs. rib

+2

each surgeon has his/her preference for grafts and/or implants - my main concern with silicone is that there will always be a risk of infection

Choice of silicone for nose job

+2

It is difficult to second guess a surgeon in a chat room forum. There may be many different reasons for his/her choice. Silicone is clearly easier to place but does have a greater long term concern for infection, exposure, extrusion, or migration.

Silicone Instead of Rib Cartilage in Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage in revision rhinoplasty; however, many excellent surgeons will use silicone implants. I feel there is more risk of infection and graft movement with the silicone. Ask him to explain his preference. I suggest you follow the post-op recommendations of your surgeon.