Can Silicone Implants Cause Problems if They Leak?

I had a mastectomy and silicone reconstruction. Since then, one has leaked. I have had extreme fatigue and muscle and joint pain ever since. The lymph nodes that I have left in the mammary chain are large. The doctors think my nodes are full of silicone. I'm miserable and don't know what to do.

Can Silicone Implants Cause Problems if They Leak

+1

The symptoms youd describe may vaguely be related to the inflammatory process of the leak. in general, if untended to leaks can require more extensive surgery at a later date so it is better to treat it now rather than later. in regards to options, it may be time to consider autogenous tissue such as a lat or TRAM flap

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

Implants and fatigue

+1

You really need to see yoru doctor to review your history and evaluate you for probable surgery.  Fatigue , etc..  are probably unrelated to the implant problem.

Breast Reconstruction

+1

You need to see your surgeon who performed the mastectomy.  I am not sure what type of silicone implants were used, but the ones we currently use are more cohesive than the ones in the past.  So they dont migrate when the shell breaks like the older silicone could.

You need to be evaluated and perhaps your lymph nodes need to be checked, but highly recommend seeing your general surgeon and perhaps your oncologist.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.