Does Silicone Pad Works on Raised Scar?

My scar was formed due to an accident,my cheek was cut and stitched,which left an white raised scar.Its an old scar..I want to improve it by non surgical method...and i thought of silicone pads to be tried at home.Is it worth buying?Is there other recommended treatments for my scar?I want to hide my scar and make it less visible.Pls suggest it really bothers me alot.

Scar on face

+1

If the scar is very old, I doubt that the silicone sheet would help.  Sometimes a scar revision( possibly with z-plasties) is recommended and then a silicone sheet is applied afterward.  This may help. 

Topical Silicone for Facial Scar Treatment

+1

Yes, topical silicone (gel, ointment, cream, pad, sheet, etc) may help improve scars. Results are gradual for improvement of swelling, redness, and overall cosmetic appearance. No one knows the exact mechanism how silicone helps scars heals. Other topical ointments that provide an occlusive dressing have similar results, such as petrolatum, Vaseline, or Aquaphor. For some, plastic surgery may be the preferred treatment over non-surgical methods. Speak with your plastic surgeon or dermatologist to perform a comprehensive evaluation and to help determine appropriate options.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon