Silicone Nose Implant Risks and Replacement Rate?

I had an I-silicone implant in my nose with ear cartilage grafting on the tip. What are the chances of infection, extrusion, and skin thinness? and will i need to get it replaced?

Silicone nose implant risks and replacement rate

+1

With all due respect, your question should have been asked BEFORE you had the placement of the implant.

The vast majority of implants, including yours, are never incorporated by the body's blood supply and remain susceptible to infection, encapsulation, skin thinning and extrusion.

The vast majority of Plastic surgeons feel that eventually every silastic (silicone) nasal implant would thin the skin and be extruded with or without an infection. The rate at which this occurs will vary with your ethnicity with thick skin (African or Asian) providing much better coverage for many more years than white / Caucasian nasal skin.

For this reason, we overwhelmingly prefer to use your own tissues which are then incorporated by the body.

Dr. P. Aldea

Silicone nose implant risks

+1

Those are the questions you should ask your surgeon before surgery rather than someone who is not your surgeon after surgery. From my experience you may go a lifetime without problems but then again you may not. Silicone can become infected, extrude or shift in position at any future date. I don't think anyone can give you an accurate percentage risk of that happening though. If it does happen though the percentages are of little interest to you.

Aaron Stone, MD