Cortisone Enough to Help with Silicone Injections Swelling?

Hello, I am from Germany and I had Silicone injections (Microdroplet) done by a plastic surgeon about 3 1/2 month ago. I had no problems with the silicone in my lips (done over two years ago). The results are nice but one side of my face is still a little bit swollen.

My doctor recommended Prednison (cortisone) 15 mg for about 3-4 weeks because he thinks that there is still a little inflammation present. Might this course of cortisone be enough to get rid of the prolonged swelling? Thanks.

Silicone complications

+2

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Treatment of silicone complications

+2

Silicone reactions can be treated effectively with low dose cortisone used very selectively as to not cause further complications. I offer my patients with silicone injections a combination treatment of injections and silicone removal. There is hope, however, silicone can cause complications and that is why I do not inject them as permanent fillers.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone micro injections

+1

That is extremely odd. There should not be swelling there. It is most likely the silicone itself. However, since I don't know your situation, I don't know how to counsel you. In general, I tend to be very hesitant with injectable steroid. I think there is always a risk of actually creating an unseemly and difficult to manage divot. Sorry that I can't give a better answer.

sml

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon