Can Silicone in my Upper Lip Be Removed?

I've had silicone injected on my upper lip & nasolabial fold since 1997. The area between my nose & lip is very swollen. Is there anything that can be done to remove the silicone?

Complications and treatment of Silicone upper lip injections

+3

Silicone injections to the upper lip are amenable to surgical repair and improvement through TAC injection, treatment of the infectious and inflammatory components of swelling, and surgery. I have had great success with surgical treatment in this area in cases where silicone has not been infiltrated into the muscle layer.

Silicone can be removed from lips

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Very difficult to remove silicone after injection.

+1

Unfortunately, silicone melts into your tissue and infiltrates all layers of the skin that has been treated.

This makes it extremely difficult to remove after the injection.

Your best bet is to work with a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to place any incisions necessary into the least noticeable areas of the lip.

Pat Pazmino, MD