What to Do About Festoons from Silicone Injections?

I had silicone injected into my face years ago, and I now have festoons under my eyes. Is there anything that can help me?

Silicone Injections

+2

Silicone injections have been used for over 30 years as a wrinkle and lip filler. It is important have injections using the microdroplet technique and in small quantities over a period of several months. If siicone is inject too close to the surface of the skin, the silicone may form lumps and even push their way through to the surface.

Typically, festoons are redundant loose skin that forms under the lower eyelid. However, if the festoons have silicone deposits they can be excised along with a lower blepharoplasty and a lateral canthal suspension procedure.

Festoons from silicone injections

+1

Terrible problem with no easy solution. You need to see someone who is experienced in eyelid surgery and potentially reconstruction.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Controlling silicone related complications and swelling around the eyes

+1

Festoons and periorbital edema from silicone reactions are difficult to treat and may require surgery.  Anti-inflammatory meds can also be effective.  I have successfully treated swelling under the eyelids after silicone injections.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Festoons after silicone injections

+1

As suggested by the other doctor who replied, I am not sure of the cause and effect in this case.  Obviously, people who have not received silicone injections develop festoons with age, and this condition can definitely be improved with surgery.  My website has a page on our technique for treating this pesky problem.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon