Silicone Breast Injection

In 1998 I had silicone injected straight into the breast. I now have three children and am very aware of huge lumps in my breasts, I had an ultrasound and they have said that they are silicomas. They are in my lymph nodes. What shall I do? Are they dangerous? I do not want my life with my kids to be cut short because of a stupid mistake!

Lumpectomy or mastectomy for silicone injected into breasts

+4

Silicone should NEVER be injected into the breast or butt region. Unfortunately, there are practitioners and even non-medical personnel that perform this on unsuspecting patients. In Florida, we have seen many patients who have received this and unfortunately, some of them have paid the ultimate price- dying when the silicone has moved to their kidneys or lungs. 

You are currently experiencing one of the serious complications that can occur with a silicone injection.

You should receive a consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon who can review your options with you and may suggest a lumpectomy or partial mastectomy to remove these silicomas.

Please take care of yourself, your children, and best of luck with this unfortunate situation.

Silicone injections into breasts

+4

Thanks for your question -

Injecting free silicone into the breasts can cause significant long term problems including inflammation and pain. It also can create a problem with differentiating it from breast cancer.

I recently had a patient that we removed freely injected silicone. Part of the tissue we sent demonstrated breast cancer. It is unclear if there was an association with the silicone and breast cancer. However, in your case, it may make detection of breast cancer difficult.

You should consider having the silicone removed.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon that does these procedures.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Lumpectomy or mastectomy may help

+4

Over the last few years I saw few patients who had silicone injected either into their breast or buttock. The breast is much more sensitive because of cancer detection concerns. For mild cases, some sort of lump excision might work. The ultimate treatment in some patients that I have seen was bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Silicone mastopathy is an unfortunate situation

+4

When people have liquid silicone injected into their breasts, it makes hard lumps that cannot be differentiated from breast cancer. It also seriously clouds the mammograms in attempting to detect breast cancer.

I have seen several patients over the years who have had to undergo mastectomies and reconstructions to treat this entity which is called silicone mastopathy. It might be possible nowadays to use MRI's to evaluate your breast but it may still be necessary to meet with an expert breast surgeon to determine the proper course for you. What we wouldn't want is for you to develop breast cancer and not have it detected until it is beyond curable.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Silicone Breast Injections

+2

I'm sorry to hear about your experience;  unfortunately, it is a difficult problem to remedy.

The best option is a visit with several well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to see if the silicone is well localized enough to be excised.  If it has been injected diffusely throughout the breasts excision ( without doing a mastectomy)  is probably impossible.

The “safest option” will depend on your age, physical examination, and goals;  all of which will be better assessed after in person consultation.

Silicone injections and silicone lumps in the breast and lymph nodes

+2

Silicone injections into the breast are difficult to treat, although my personal experience has shown that surgical removal can be acheived in some cases. I have followed several patients for some time who have developed silicone nodularity after silicone injections.

In all cases, patients cannot assume that a lump in the breast is a result of a siliconoma or silicone nodule. A thorough workup must be obtained to rule out concomitant carcinoma.

We frequently consult on patients who have undergone silicone injections to their body in Mexico or Tijuana. There are a fair number of doctors still injecting silicone in the breast. However, the overall safety profile for these treatments is poor.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Remove liquid silicone while its not infected

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD