I'm Getting Silicone Implants Next Week! My Right Will Be Using 533cc and my Left 492. Will This Give Me a Small D?

I'm 5'5 and weigh 160lbs with a large frame. I'm a 38 A cup

Breast Implant Size and Resulting Cup Size?

+2

I would suggest that you concentrate on achieving a certain “look”, not a specific cup size, with your breast augmentation surgery.

Unfortunately,  no plastic surgeon is able to accurately predict what cup size you will end up wearing after breast augmentation with a certain size implant. As you know, you may end up wearing different bra cup sizes depending on who makes the bra.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you're looking for.  You may want to leave it up to him/her to use a breast implant that he/she feels will do the job based on intraoperative evaluation.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
 I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Again, in my opinion, it is best to set your goals and  level of satisfaction with the results of surgery,  on achieving a certain look/proportionality,  not a specific cup size.

What implants will make you a D-cup?

+2

Remember, your final breast size is determined by not only your implants, but also what you started with in terms of your own breast tissue. It takes about 250cc to equal one bra cup size, so the implants you and your surgeon plan to use will add about two cup sizes to your present breast size.

Thus, at 38A now (on a large frame and 160 lbs.), you will likely end up with a full C, probably not a small D.

That being said, bras are not standardized in sizing, and a woman's breasts may fit perfectly in a Maidenform C-cup brassiere whle fitting just as perfectly in a D-cup bra from Victoria's Secret. So it's not about the letter on the label--it's about the "look" you are seeking. Try on implants in a bra and stretchy top (don't get hung up on the implant numbers--there is a "fudge factor" or 50-100cc when implants are placed below the muscle), and see what looks good. Bring photos of nude models or website "after" photos whose breast size you like. Then allow your surgeon to select the proper implant volume and profile to achieve as close as possible to your desired size.

Don't leave this to chance or to your surgeon's judgement--the number one reason for re-operation after breast enlargement is to change size (usually bigger). This could be YOU! Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implant Sizing

+2

Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted.

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

Outward projection is further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size

Using that as a guide line you should be able to get a rough estimate for the size implant you would need.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Bra size after implants

+2
The bra size will depend on whose bra you wear. A "D" in Victoria Secret may be a "C" cup in Playtex. So don't focus on a specific bra size, but rather pick implant style and size based on what you think looks good on you and that you are happy with. Loose rule of thumb, every 200 cc is about a cup size in volume, but it may not raise your bra by a cup size as noted above.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon