Does Anyone Know if I Can Get Silicone Implants by Signing a Waiver?

I had a child, and lost breast volume, and i want implants to take me from size 34B, to like a C or small D, I DO NOT WANT Saline! I want the natural look and feel, not something incredibly fake looking and feeling like saline... I am only 18 though, so is there a way i can qualify to get silicone, or can i sign a waiver or what? I dont want to have to wait till im 22, and deal with my boobs how they are, one is slightly bigger, and they seem to sag just slightly, but im a perfectionist

+1

Yes you can. In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA  mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Unfortunately, the use of these implants for these younger patients will negate the breast implant manufacturer warranty.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Silicone implants under age 22 is considered off-label use

+1

Hi there-

The use of silicone implants in patients under the age of 22 is not recommended by the FDA, but is allowed as "off-label" use. It is not illegal in any way, but just as with any other important health care related decision, does require your careful education about the choice and its implications.

As for how natural (or not) the outcome, this will be affected by many variables, just one of which is the implant filler material.

Your best bet is to find the very best surgeon you can and visit for a consultation. If you choose your surgeon well, you will find that the other details will fall into place.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Silicone implants and age requirement

+1

I adhere to the FDA requirements that recommend silicone breast impalnts be used in women over 22 for augmentation purposes. 

Yes, you can have silicone implants if you are under age 22.

+1

I'll answer your main question first. Silicone implants under the age of 22 are perfectly legal and appropriate for patients who have fully informed consent, and understand that use of silicone implants under the age of 22 is considered "off-label" by the FDA.

Off-label use is something that every doctor does frequently, when a medication is prescribed for another reason than the primary FDA-approved indication. For example, Botox is approved for cosmetic use only for the frown muscles between the brows. I suspect that virtually every physician who uses Botox ALSO uses it for crows feet expression lines, forehead lines, and other areas as well. This is an example of "off-label" use. We're not breaking the rules, we are simply making an informed medical choice in conjunction with our properly-informed patient.

So , yes, it's possible; yes, it's legal; and I do this for my patients who are properly informed and choose that option.

The important thing here is that saline is not bad, and silicone not automatically the "solution" for all of your concerns. Although I would likely still recommend silicone for augmentation for you, you should have a detailed consultation and have all of your questions and concerns answered and addressed. A good starting place is to read my comprehensive guide to breast augmentation (Click on the web reference link below). Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Underage silicone implants

+1

The rational behind governmental decisions are not always transparent.  Many doctors don't necessarily agree with the FDA ruling.  But the ruling is the ruling.   The difference between saline and silicone is not as great as most people think.  The average person will see a minimal difference between the two.  That being said, if you are very thin a silicone implant is better in my opinion.  Also a saline implant can be massively over inflated(which can void the warranty) if somebody wants an excessive round fake look.  But for most people when the implanst are put in according to the accepted standards there is a minuscule difference.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Hello

+1

I'll try my best to address your question, in regards to getting fake looking breast has nothing to do with getting saline or silicone. It depends on how big you go. It sounds like your very modest and you have great breast tissue with out an exam its hard to say. If your a B cup and want to be a C cup you want to be in the 290 cc range. Wether its saline or silicone the size is what makes them look fake. There is nothing you can sign to get them at your age. sorry. In our practice we tell out patients that 225 cc aqual about one cup size.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS