2 months post op of Rhinoplasty, I had my silicone implants removed. Will my nose go back to normal?

I had rhinoplasty 2 months ago unfortunately an infection developed in my nose my surgeon got it removed immediately(I developed a hump in the upper part and yellowish fluid came out of my nose).. My question is I usually had a bump in my nose, even before the procedure, I'm not aware if they removed my bump or not.. After my surgeon removed this implant what would happen to my nose? Will it go back to normal? I'm very worried... Should have not taken this option if I knew it was this risky.

Infected implant

+2
It really depends on what was done.  If the implant was inserted to correct a depression, things should eventually go back to the previous state.  If the implant was inserted to correct depression caused by removal of bone or cartilage, you could end up with some depression.  I have found silicone implants to be highly effective to treat dorsal depressions.  While they can get infected, the risk is low and I do not feel you were mistaken in choosing this option as long as you understood the possibility of infection.

It's really much to early to know for sure but whatever the result, there are means to correct the situation.  This cold take the form of further surgery with grafts, or sometimes, injections.  We have had excellent results with microdroplet silicone injections.  While controversial, when done properly, it has proven highly effective in certain cases.

Even at this early stage, you should have some idea of the shape of the nose, even though it is swollen.  Talk to your surgeon and get his ideas of what he thinks will result and the possible treatment options.

Abilene Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal if infected silicone implant.

+1
Removal if infected silicone implant. The nose should go back to the way it was if nothing else was done to the bridge.

Will my nose resume its preoperative state following removal of an infected silicone prosthesis?

+1
  • If there was not a significant amount of other surgery performed at the time of the placement of your implant I would expect it to return to its preoperative state. This however may take a number of months. I would not recommend surgical revision for at least six months from the date of your implant removal. I would strongly consider using your own tissues to correct your nose. You should discussed this at length with your board-certified plastic surgeon at the time of your next visit. Best wishes!

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1
While it may take some time, your tissues will likely return to their pre-operative state assuming that no other work was done except for putting in some implants that subsequently became infected. It may take up to 6-9 months for your nose to return to baseline. I do not recommend any further cosmetic surgery until at least 9 months after the original surgery.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon