Allergic to Breast Implants?

I got silicone implants 10 days ago and yesterday noticed that a rash formed underneath and to the sides of my breasts after wearing a bra that felt a bit uncomfortable all day. I didn't wear a bra all day today and the rash has improved but there is still some redness and irritation, not near the incission but sporadically around my breasts. I am planning to call my doctor tomorrow but would like some info ASAP. Could I be allergic to the implants?

More likely the bra and skin dryness

+2

After a breast augmentation skin can become very dry and you made need moisturizer to alleviate the discomfort.

Allergy to breast implants

+2

It is more likely that you had a rash related to the bra. Sometimes patients have allergies to the medications or antibiotics that are used. Let your doctor evaluate you to be sure. Steven Wallach, MD

Allergies have nothing to do with breast implants

+1

Dear Jungle,

Your rash has nothing to do with the implants. You may have had a contact dermatitis to the soap used to wash your chest for surgery or the bra you wore afterward.

See your plastic surgeon for treatment. He or she may recommend some hydrocortisone cream, a moisturizer, and discontuance of the bra.

Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

There is no such thing as allergy to breast implants.

+1

To junglebaby311,

Hi! You can relax. You may simply be allergic to the fabric in the bra or to the skin disinfectant used during surgery. But I assure you that implants have been studied for decades. Whether you have silicone or saline implants, they are inert and do not cause an allergic reaction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)