Why is It Silicone Implants Has a Higher Chance for Capsular Contracture?

why is it silicone implants have a higher chance for capsular contracture? Even though the outer shell for saline and silicone are essentially the same thing?

Capsular Contracture Rate and Silicone Implants

+2

This is a very important question that you ask and one that in my opinion is not discussed often enough. Currently, to the best of my knowledge, we do not have an answer to this question.

Silicone implants are increasingly popular. They do have a more natural feel which can be quite important. But the data suggests that the capsular contracture rate may be 3 times higher than with saline filled implants. This is something that any woman considering silicone implants needs to be made aware of. Ultimately I believe it is the patient who should be the one to make an informed decision as to which type of implant they prefer.

Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture is due to bacteria

+1

Capsular contracture (hardening of breast implants) today is most likely associated with a special kind of infection around the breast implant called biofilms.  At present, the only treatment is excision of the capsule and removal of the implants.  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Silicone Breast Implants and Scarring (Capsular Contracture)

+1
The breast implants we use in 2011 are NOT the implants of the mid 1960's, 1970's or 1980's. Complaints related to the thicker shells of fittest generation implants led to the introductions of thin shelled implants which were associated with silicone leaking across the shell (bleeding). THESE were the implants associated with the worst cases of scarring (capsular contracture). Since then, the silicone gel filling the implants became much more cohesive and less apt to flow and leak after the implant shells were made both thicker and impermeable to the gel. These days, most Plastic surgeons wsould probably disagree that they see higher rate of capsular contracture with silicone gel filed implants. Dr. Peter Aldea

Capsul;ar contracture and silicone versus saline breast implants

+1

Although, previous studies have shown a higher capsular contracture rate for silicone implants, it is my impression that newer studies have actually shown a lower rate with the newer low bleed cohesive gel implants when compared to the saline. Unfortunately the data is not consistent and no definitive conclusions can be made.

Silicone and Capsular Contracture

+1

It is not statistically significant though.  Yes it is slightly higher, but there are so many variables and so many factors that that slight difference is not very significant.  I have not seen a difference in my practice either.

Silicone implants in my opinion are simply better implants.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Silicone implants and capsular contracture

+1

Nobody really knows what causes capsular contracture.   Therefore we can't really say why one implant would have a higher capsular contracture than another one.  However, in my practice I do not see a difference between the two types of implants.  It may be time to re-create a study that compares the latest generation of implants to see if silicone implants really do cause an increase in capsular contracture.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Capsular Contracture Rates

+1

I am not at all sure that silicone implants have a higher contracture rate than saline.  Thankfully I rarely see capsular contractures with any implants at this time, although I frequently saw them 20 years ago with both types of implants.  In my practice, silicone implants usually are associated with a softer and more naturally appearing and feeling breast than saline.

John Whitt, MD

Silicone vs saline implants

+1

Your point is interesting that silicone has a higher capsule contraacture rate, but I have not seen that in my practice.  More studies are ongoing regarding this subject.

Silicone Implants Has a Higher Chance for Capsular Contracture?

+1

Research is being done  to answer this question. In my practice I see no real difference. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Capsular contracture and silicone Breast Implants

+1

There is a slightly higher risk of capsular contracture with silicone implants when compared to saline implants. No one knows why but my personal theory is that silicone implants are slightly more susceptible to bacteria, blood, and powder....the very things we know can cause capsular contracture.  Despite this, the majority of my breast implant patients choose silicone implants and I make sure to use extra care during the inserttion to avoid problems. This means careful prevention of bleeding, submuscluar placement, and the use of a "no touch" breast technique.  I have attached a video demonstrating my "no touch" technique using a Keller Funnel,

Matthew Schulman, MD