Are Silicone Implants Heavier Than Saline?

I'm curious if there's a weight difference between silicone and saline breast implants.

Silicone versus saline breast implants

+1

Silicone implants are softer, less dense and lighter volume for volume than saline breast implants. The saline implants are heaver because water is dense.

Which implant is heavier?

+1

Gel implants the same cc volume as saline feel lighter. Most of the time this is not critical. However, when the patient wants a larger implant or if the patient is also having a mastopexy I prefer a gel implant in those situations.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs. Saline weight

+1

The difference between the two is negligible.  Gel implants are more dense, it's minimal.  Silicone implants do tend to feel and look more natural than saline implants. However, it's all personal preference.  Both implants are great.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Weight of silicone vs saline?

+1

I am in total agreement with the panel of surgeons who feel that the differences are negligible. More importantly is what is your frame like?. How wide you are?, how much breast tissue will be covering those implants?, What is the height and width of the areola?. How tall you are? Will you be better suited for over vs under the pectoral muscles? A lot of planning goes into the correct algorithm for each patient. Good Luck.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants are lighter than saline!

+1

I was surprised to learn this myself, but the same volume in the 2 different implants equates to a lighter silicone implant! This may not be such a difference though that you would perceive it. It should not impact your decision if there are other factors that are important to you: the feel of the implant, the risk of rippling with saline, the thin-ness of your skin and volume of your existing breast tissue (if you are thin and small, silicone may be better option).

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Implant weight

+1

A 300cc implant whether it is a silicone or a saline filled implant, will weigh about  the same.   Choose the impalnts you want based upon your personal comfort level and the benefits and risks of each.

Yes they are

+1

No there are not difference between a silicone gel implant an a saline one. But there is a little bit difference in density; silicone viscoelastic gel is "heavier" tham a saline one (1.06 : 099).

The most iportant concern with an implant is it's measures: width, height and projection.

It is really very difficult to tell the difference of an implant according to the filling of (f.e.) a 300cc (grs.) implant.

You will never notice the difference... but be sure yo would notice size difference clearly (diameter + projection).

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Silicone gel implants weight a bit less than saline implants

+1

This issue is not really an important consideration when selecting a breast implant for cosmetic augmentation - both implants weigh about the same, with silicone gel weighing a bit less per volume than saline implants.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Silcone and saline implant weights

+1
The difference in weight between the implants is insignificant. The true difference is in the feel of the implants at the time of implantation. After six months, the saline implants soften up and the feel is almost identical.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Silicone Implants do not Weigh more than Saline

+1

Hi there-

Equal volume silicone implants do not weigh more than saline implants. In fact, the gel within them is slightly less dense than saline solution, although this is such a small difference as to make it undetectable by most women.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS