Can Silicone Breast Implants Correct Mild Ptosis?

Ihad one child and breast fed. My breasts seem to have mild ptosis. My nipples still point outward/upward and are above the inframammary fold--just slightly. My breasts do not touch my body as in some cases of sagging. I am a 36B and want to be a Full D to DD cup. When I tried on the implants, I chose a 550cc silicone breast implants, subglandular. I want to avoid a breast lift due to the scaring it can cause. Will a breast augmentation fix the slight ptosis?

Breast Implants Can Improve Mild Glandular Ptosis

+4

From your description it sounds as though you have mild Glandular Ptosis, that is your Nipple Areola position is normal and most likely the breast has atrophied slightly following pregnancy.

In these situations Breast Implants can work nicely without a Breast Lift.

Breast implants don't fix ptosis

+2

Placing a huge implant above the muscle will predispose you to the eventual "ball in sock" look that characterizes this old fashioned procedure. It is a matronly look and one which is best avoided. Maybe you can get away with a smaller implant under the muscle and just a periareolar lift? See other surgeons who can advise you. If you need a lift, you need a lift. Scars fade with time but an excessively large implant result doesn't go away with time - it gets less attractive.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation without lift

+1
It is possible for breast implants to correct mild ptosis, as proven by some of my patients.

I consider these three things to help give you the extra lift you require to make your breasts “perkier” without mastopexy:

1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).

2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.

3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. 

Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres. However, you need to talk to a surgeon who has had experience doing this. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Treatment plan

+1
A dual plane augmentation may give you enough of a lift with your breast augmentation.  However, a physical exam is really needed to make any recommendations

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Correction of mild ptosis with breast augmentation

+1

Without a picture it is hard to say exactly, but from your discription and goal size, it is entirely possible that an augmentation alone could give you a nice result.  I would however STRONGLY recommend avoiding subglandular and going for a subfascial augmentation.  I use a technique I call COLD-SUBFASCIAL augmentation to use the structural power of fascia to shape and support breast augmentations.  in this way a tear-drop shape is created with the breast sitting exactly where it should and having lasting support.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breasts sagging and implants

+1

If a patient needs a lift, a larger implant may make it worse( becuase of the weight).  Of course an exam would be key.

VIDEO (Click HERE) Can Silicone Breast Implants Correct Mild Ptosis?

+1

In the shoirt term, this size implant will likely ahceve the desired goal. However over time this may produce a greater amount of sagging than you would prefer.

Should work

+1

My preference however would be under the muscle as the added support of the muscle fascia will tend to reduce chance of sagging compared to above the muscle.  Also, there is a lower chance of capsular contraction, and more padding over the implant.

with minimal ptosis, you should be fine.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implants for mild ptosis.

+1

Hi!

1) The good news is Yes! Silicone breast implants over the muscle will correct mild sagging such as you describe.

2) The bad news is 550 cc's is much too big. Of course I haven't examined you, but I think 300 to 350 cc's would be the right range.

3) Remember that very large implants stretch your tissues and age very badly. In Manhattan, I have never ( in over 20 years) used such large breast implants for breast augmentation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Larger breast implants may cause sagging problems in the future

+1

Dr Pfeifer's answer is so good I don't have much to add. Too bad you're not in Manhattan, but you should be able to find a plastic surgeon near your town that would give a similar answer. The larger size you go to the larger chance you have of having numbness and future sagging problems.

I also would reccommend reconsidering the size of implants you are considering.

Good Luck!

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon