Can Silicone Breast Implants Correct Mild Ptosis?

Ihad one child and breast fed. My breasts seem to have mild ptosis. My nipples still point outward/upward and are above the inframammary fold--just slightly. My breasts do not touch my body as in some cases of sagging. I am a 36B and want to be a Full D to DD cup. When I tried on the implants, I chose a 550cc silicone breast implants, subglandular. I want to avoid a breast lift due to the scaring it can cause. Will a breast augmentation fix the slight ptosis?

Breast Implants Can Improve Mild Glandular Ptosis

+4

From your description it sounds as though you have mild Glandular Ptosis, that is your Nipple Areola position is normal and most likely the breast has atrophied slightly following pregnancy.

In these situations Breast Implants can work nicely without a Breast Lift.

Breast implants don't fix ptosis

+2

Placing a huge implant above the muscle will predispose you to the eventual "ball in sock" look that characterizes this old fashioned procedure. It is a matronly look and one which is best avoided. Maybe you can get away with a smaller implant under the muscle and just a periareolar lift? See other surgeons who can advise you. If you need a lift, you need a lift. Scars fade with time but an excessively large implant result doesn't go away with time - it gets less attractive.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Correction of mild ptosis with breast augmentation

+1

Without a picture it is hard to say exactly, but from your discription and goal size, it is entirely possible that an augmentation alone could give you a nice result.  I would however STRONGLY recommend avoiding subglandular and going for a subfascial augmentation.  I use a technique I call COLD-SUBFASCIAL augmentation to use the structural power of fascia to shape and support breast augmentations.  in this way a tear-drop shape is created with the breast sitting exactly where it should and having lasting support.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breasts sagging and implants

+1

If a patient needs a lift, a larger implant may make it worse( becuase of the weight).  Of course an exam would be key.

VIDEO (Click HERE) Can Silicone Breast Implants Correct Mild Ptosis?

+1

In the shoirt term, this size implant will likely ahceve the desired goal. However over time this may produce a greater amount of sagging than you would prefer.

Should work

+1

My preference however would be under the muscle as the added support of the muscle fascia will tend to reduce chance of sagging compared to above the muscle.  Also, there is a lower chance of capsular contraction, and more padding over the implant.

with minimal ptosis, you should be fine.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implants for mild ptosis.

+1

Hi!

1) The good news is Yes! Silicone breast implants over the muscle will correct mild sagging such as you describe.

2) The bad news is 550 cc's is much too big. Of course I haven't examined you, but I think 300 to 350 cc's would be the right range.

3) Remember that very large implants stretch your tissues and age very badly. In Manhattan, I have never ( in over 20 years) used such large breast implants for breast augmentation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Larger breast implants may cause sagging problems in the future

+1

Dr Pfeifer's answer is so good I don't have much to add. Too bad you're not in Manhattan, but you should be able to find a plastic surgeon near your town that would give a similar answer. The larger size you go to the larger chance you have of having numbness and future sagging problems.

I also would reccommend reconsidering the size of implants you are considering.

Good Luck!

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Yes, silicone breast implants can correct mild ptosis with reservations

+1

After a child what sometimes occurs is called pseudo-ptosis or false ptosis. This is actually a deflation caused by the breast feeding. In brief, what happens is the rapidly expanding mammary glands put pressure on some of the fat of the breast which causes the fat to atrophy. Then after the breast enlargement resolves, there is less fat and your breasts "deflate." An implant is the best way to correct this. True ptosis is caused by damage to the suspensory ligaments of the breast and can only be treated by implant alone in it's mildest form. Otherwise in needs to be combined with a lift operation.

Donald Kress, MD
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Can breast implants correct mild ptosis?

+1

Hi Sweetpea23.

Yes, implants can correct mild ptosis. However, I am very concerned about the the size implant you are considering. Without seeing pictures and/or examining you, I do not have complete information and so my comments may not be relevant to your situation.

Many people after 1 child have mild ptosis and loss of what we plastic surgeons call upper pole fullness in the breast. This can usually be corrected with a much smaller implant than the size you are considering.

Many patients also figure as long as they are having augmentation, they might as well make a significant size change. This is a mistake, especially for patients who already have ptosis. All implants cause stretching and sagging of tissues over time and the larger the implant, the more stretching of the tissues/skin.

You want to avoid a lift. A larger implant will increase your chances of needing a lift in the future. Some patients will need a lift in the future no matter what. However, a larger implant will make it more likely to need the lift sooner rather than later.

I would get several opinions about what is the right size implant for you and make sure you understand the effects of implants over time on your tissues and what surgery you might need in the future.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD