How Do I Choose Ideal CC Amount for Breast Reconstruction?

I had a skin sparing BM. I want full C'c. My TE's are filled to 575cc's now. I need 100 over what ever size I pick. I'm trying to decide between 550 or 600. I am looking into allergan silicone style 45 or the 20. I don't want an unnatural look, or a shelf at the top of the breasts.I do want some cleavage. My shoulders do curve forward due to bad posture. I'm 49, 120 and 5'6". My ribs are 32" although I wear a 36" bra. My te's are 133fx-12-t-450. What would be the best cc amt and profile for me?

Silicone breast implants and reconstruction

+1

There is not an ideal cc amount but a range of sizes and styles that would work for you. Make this decision in conjunction with you plastic surgeon.

If you have a shelf at the top of your breast, this can usually be ameliorated with some well-positioned fat grafting.

Right size

+1

I really feel when you get to that size going a little bigger is better.most women will regret not going a little bigger and the difference at that size really is minimal so I wqould go bigger.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Choose the size you like best!

+1

I'm not sure what it means that you will have to go 100 cc over whatever size you pick. Do you mean if you choose a 600, you will get a 700cc impant? That would be unusual.

The most important dimension we work with is chest width, and from there you can choose various fullnesses, i.e. projection. You are very thin, so chest width is a limit, and there is probably not be a 700 cc implant that is the appropriate width for you. If you are happy with the volume and look of the expander volumes now, your surgeon should find the corresponding implant. The 45 and 20 style implants have the greatest projection, so your chest width should be measured by your surgeon and he/she should choose the corresponding implant to that dimension. Then you will have your answer!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Implants and tissue expanders

+1

Usually an expander is sized based upon your native breast shape before your mastectomy. I tell patients that as I am filling the expander to let me know at what volume it matches their other breast. This is the volume I then usually go with. 

Work with your plastic surgeon to select implant size

+1

You shouldn't have to pick an implant style and size without guidance from your plastic surgeon. The base dimensions of the breast and a lot of other factors will determine a range of appropriate sizes and you can see what the size is as the expanders are filled.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Reconstruction

+1

The implant size chosen is to match the opposite breast. During the change from tissue expander to implant, several sizers are tried, then the most appropriate size that matches the opposite breast is chosen.