Silicone Implant Removal by Any Plastic Surgeon?

I got a nose job 14 months ago. but I have a persistent redness, and (rash/pimples) around silicone implant for about 7-8 months since then. Took antibiotic but didn't improve much and no swelling no pain so it may be skin trouble. When do you make a judgment to remove silicone? I visited a few surgeons but they said it isn't about to extrude or anything. I heard removing silicone is an easy process, can it be done by a plastic surgeon who had not have many experiences with Asian rhinoplasty?

Silicone implant rhinoplasty

+2

I would STRONGLY advise you to visit a plastic and reconstructive surgeon well versed in revisional/tertiary rhinoplasties.  The reality is that when removed the nose will not appear as it did before the implant.  The underlying structure will be changed and you will likely need a formal rhinoplasty with intelligently designed cartilage grafts for an aesthetically sound appearance.  I do not place silicone implants in my practice because the results are not comparable to what can be achieved with a true rhinoplasty and they leave the patients with a life long risk of potentially horrifying complications.  My bias is that you should visit aplastic surgeon with dedicated craniofacial training as that is where I learned to deal with difficult secondary and tertiary rhinoplasties.

I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Removal of silicone implant

+1

The removal of a silicone implant can be accomplished easily in the office under local anesthesia. You may consider having your nose re-evaluated by a surgeon experienced in Asian rhinoplasty and implants. It is possible that additional medical therapy may help you.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The other question is what would you appear like if the silicone nasal implant is removed? A collapsed bridge? Make sure you want this done. 

Silicone implants

+1

If possible you should consult your original surgeon and see what his/her opinion is about removing the implant. If that is not an option then any surgeon who is willing to accept you as a patient can remove it.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon