Is It Safe To Have Nose Tip Touched Up While Removing Silicone Implant?

I decided to remove silicone implant (2mm) due to skin trouble (raised my tip with nose and ear cartilage as well). I asked if removing silicone implant only will make my entire nose imbalanced but they said they will make sure it matches with the tip of the nose. Is it a bad idea to retouch my tip to balance it out with the nose bridge? What kind of surgery can be done to match it? I've only heard people removing implant for infection reasons but never heard touching up the tip as well.

+1

Aestheticaly speaking, all aspects and sections, of the nose, should be in aesthetic balance and harmony so it seems appropriate to look at changing the tip when removing a dorsal implant through Revision Rhinoplasty.

Removing silicone implant and tip work

+1

A silicone implant can be removed from the nose but it is most likely not creating a whole lot of issues in the tip. Silicone implants are typically used in the nose to build up the bridge, not tip structures.  This can be removed, shaved down and sculpted if needed or just simply removed.  

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

If it is necessary to modify your tip to maintain balance between the bridge and the tip when the silicone implant is removed, do it during the same procedure. Obviously, your surgeons have discussed this with you.

Change tip while removing implant

+1
Conceptually it's ok to make sure there is balance. The question is why the implant was there in the first place. If the tip was over projected then it may or may not require a complete redo. If the Dodson was over resected then you'll need something to take it's place.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of nasal implant

+1

Removal of a nasal silicone implant and secondary cartilage grafts to the nasal tip is a complicated procedure. This is not some little touch up. Secondary rhinoplasty in general is a difficult procedure.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Having tip rhinoplasty during silicone implant removal

+1

It's quite common to address the tip at the same time as removal of a silicone implant. It makes the most sense to address the entire nose during the same procedure, rather than staging it.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD