Is a silicone Implant for Rhinoplasty necessary?

I was recommended a small silicone implant for the bridge and use of my ear cartilage for the tip. I'm not thrilled about the idea of putting silicone in my nose and was wondering - would my nose look unbalanced with the rest of my face if I didn't do the implant? I'm not sure if I want to harvest tissue from anywhere else (i.e. rib). What are other reasons for implanting silicone other than to heighten the bridge? Is it to create a smooth surface that could not otherwise be created?

+1
You may use cartilage grafting or implant for these purposes. 

Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year, has great reviews, and great before and after pictures.

Silicone Implant for Nasal Bridge

+1
I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage to augment the bridge to avoid possible problems such as infection, movement, or extrusion associated with silicone implants. Cartilage is usually harvested from the nasal septum or the ears.

There are a number of both synthetic as well as natural (from your own cartilage) implants that can be used in the nose

+1
Implants to augment the dorsum or bridge of the nose can be made from synthetic materials such as silicone or Gortex. I prefer natural implants from your own body. We can raise the bridge of your nose with implants made of cartilage from your nasal septum, ear or rib. The source depends on how much cartilage is necessary. Newer techniques using diced cartilage and human tissue glue allows us to fabricate custom implants from your own cartilage. These new techniques have led me to significantly reduce my use of synthetic implants.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal implants

+1
The nasal implants like Gortex and Silicone can be used safely in most cases. However the risk of failure is higher than using your own cartilage. The best solution would be to use your own cartilage from the ears, nasal septum and lastly the rib. 
Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a silicone implant for rhinoplasty necessary?

+1
It would be helpful to have photographs. Silicone implants come in different shapes and sizes. They are used often to augment the dorsum. Other options are cartilage grafts which can be harvested from the septum, the ear or a rib. Silicone implants can be safe if selected and placed properly. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon