My Silicone Gel Implant is Flat in the Nipple Area, Will That Round Out?

I am 5 days post op and this was placed after my expander that was in place post mastectomy. The scar is across the area tha is flat, so I don't know if that is what is causing it to look not very shapely. It's flat across the top and a little uneven along the bottom. Will this eventually work itself out?

Breast reconstruction, nipple reconstruction, breast cancer, DCIS, mastectomy, TUG flap, DIEP flap, Latissimus flap, fat graft i

+1

The closure of the skin sparing mastectomy incision creates this flatness.  This is far to early assess a result for its overall appearance.  After 5 days people are still bruised and swollen.  Please be patient and follow up with you surgeons and explain your concurs.

Breast Reconstruction

+1

At 5 days postop, you are too swollen to assess the outcome.  Allow 6-8 weeks to assess the outcome, and be sure to not be overactive.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Some central flatness is common after breast reconstruction post mastectomy.

+1

Hi.

1)  This is because the skin envelope is tight after removal of the nipple (not a problem with "nipple sparing" mastectomy).

2)  Later on , you can have flat area filled in with fat injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Flat breast reconstruction

+1

Christie,

You are very early post op and patience is key.  Without photos it is hard to be certain what you are describing as flatness.  Reconstructed breasts tend to be flatter than a natural breast.  In my hands it is impossible to get a conical "spouting" breast with expanders and implants.  A much more natural shape can be achieved with a TRAM flap.  Keep your follow up appointments and express your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

BREAST RECONSTRUCTION

+1

Asolutely the flatness you describe is due to the mastectomy, removing tissue, and to the scar.

Discuss with your surgeon fat transfer to fill these areas. It will give you the projection you need. I do not know if your insurance will cover that.

Flat in nipple area.

+1

it is difficult to say without pictures.  however, you are very early post op.  give it some time and talk to your surgeon

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon