How to Remove Silicone Filler?

I recently had silicone as a filler added to an area of my nose. However, the second time, the doctor added too much and now the tip of my nose and side is enlarged/deformed. I need some advice as to how to remove this excess silicone (procedure, product or other injectable?). Is there a time period for doing this before the silicone harden and take a permanent form?

Silicone removal

+4

The silicone that was injected can be removed at any time but will require surgical intervention.

In my practice, we see patients that have had silicone injected in their face or body. Many of these were done outside of the United States as most dermatologists and plastic surgeons recognize the problems that can occur with injecting free silicone into someone.

The body will form scar tissue around the silicone, however depending on the injection techniques, removal can be challenging (Dr. K reviews some of the issues around injection techniques and the quality of silicone).

Removal of injected silicone from your nose may require an open rhinoplasty approach. You may also need a procedure to reconstruct the defect at a later time.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with this difficult problem.

Silicone Removal: Complications of Silicone as a Facial Filler

+3

In theory, silicone is an inert facial filler with minimal risk of developing foreign body reaction. However, the number of documented cases of silicone granuloma, silicone inflammation, silicone deformity, and sensitivity to injected silicone is enormous.

The first step in dealing with silicone problems is to identify the exact source of the silicone injected.

Was it medical grade?

Where was it manufactured?

What is the lot number and expiration date?

Was sterile technique adhered to?

Once this information is acquired, the two components of silicone deformity need to be addressed separately:

• Inflammatory phase
  • Foreign body filler

Treating silicone deformities is difficult. That is why most physicians, including those in realself.com advise patients not to receive the injections in favor of temporary fillers.

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/face/62/silicone-lip-removal.aspx