Would Silicone Really Make a Difference for Me?

I currently have saline mods and am having a revision to go up in size. Considering HP silicone 600cc. I am 5-4 and 120lbs, pre BA was a 36c. I will be going under the muscle and do have some breast tissue, but am being told with a larger saline implant, I may be able to feel the implant more, rippling and firm implant. I only feel the implant on one side right now near the bottom, so not bad. Is silicone really worth the extra money in my case and the added risk for capsular contracture ?

Revision Breast Surgery

+1

You do not mention how big your current implant is which should be factored into your final decision. The bigger the leap in size, the larger your risk of increased rippling since more of your breasts will be made out of implants with a larger jump in size. Switching to silicone may help with rippling and the increased risk of capsular contracture should be very minor. Inferior pole (bottom of the breast) rippling can also be improved by placing Belladerm or Strattice into the breasts pockets.

High profile saline implants generally not recommended

+1

I am not a fan of high profile saline implants as you go into the larger sizes.  The saline implants are heavier than silicone and have a shorter longevity.  Yes, there is an increased risk of capsular contracture, however, in my practice it is only a few percentage points higher (1 to 2% for saline versus about 5% for silicone).  600cc saline high profile implants will look very unnatural and round in most patients whereas silicone implants sit a bit more naturally on the chest wall.  If your surgeon employs the no-touch technique and uses a Keller funnel to place the silicone implant in the breast pockets, you should have a further reduction in the likelihood of developing a capsule. 

Michael Brucker, MD

Silicone might make a difference

+1

While we do like saline implants very much, sometimes a gel will do better. A slight cover, large implant, and high profile all fit the indication for a gel over a saline. The saline could be fine, but the gel should get serious consideration.

+1

The larger the implant, the more important is the difference between gel and saline. The gels feel more natural, and have fewer ripples. In a patient with a fair amount of breast tissue and a small implant the difference is not much. In a patient with an implant as large as you are considering, the difference is considerable. 

Yes I do think it is worth the extra expense.

Thanks for the question.