Can a Silicone Chin Implant Be Secured with Screws?

i have decided to have a chin implant. the issue for me is that i am a boxer, and realistically, i am not going to stop boxing afterwards so it would make sense for me to have my chin implant screwed into place. will this be ok? i have spoken to a plastic surgeon who specialises in facial surgery and he informed me that he only uses silicone implants and that its not possible to screw them in place. can someone elaborate on this, and what they would recommend? i'd prefer to not use medpor.

Chin implants and screws

+2

It's just not practical.  All that will happen is you will get punch and if the implant actually moved it would just tear around the screw.  Once an implant is placed under the periosteum its pretty secure.  The screws could also encourage fractures if you're a boxer.  Just skip the screws. . .or just wait until you retire as a boxer.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+2

Generally a pocket that will snugly fit the implant is carefully elevated and the implant is sewn into place in several different places to prevent dislodging.  The elevated tissue is then covered over the implant and again sewn to secure the location of the implant.  While screws are possible to secure the location, they are often unnecessary.  Please consult with your board certified specialist to obtain the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Chin implant in a boxer

+2

It is not wise to consider any type of chin implant if you continue to box . A screw going into the bony to secure a chin  implant is more likely to contribute to a jaw fracture if the chin is struck. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Screw Fixation of Chin Implants

+2

The best way to guarantee chin implant fixation forever are one or two screws to the bone. This would be the best thing to do given that you are a boxer. It is a very simple technique to do, adds no extra time, and very little cost. For many male patients it is my standard chin implant fixation  technique, regardless of whether it is a silicone or Medpor chin implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Silicone chin implants may be secured to the lining of your jaw bone with sutures, not screws.

+2

I read your concern. Frankly, if you're going to continue to box, you should consider holding off on chin implant surgery. A blow to your chin after surgery may increase your risk of developing an infection, no matter how it's fixated.

In my practice, chin implants are typically secured to the lower jaw periosteum with two 5-0 PDS sutures. Careful elevation of your implant's pocket, along with these sutures, prevents shifting of your implant while you're healing.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and screws

+2

A screw is not needed for a silicone implant. After 2 months the implant should be stable but certainly a direct punch may dislodge it but I have not seen this reported in the medical literature. Good Luck.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+2

Fixing the silicone chin implant with screws will deform the silicone.

using POREX implant need tobe fixed with screws, and will have tissue ingrowth. However you will be able to dislodge the screws and the implant with boxing and being hit on the chin.

Even using bone, sliding osteotomy will weaken your chin.

Rib graft used for chin augmentation will need to be fixed with multiple screws. Will require 6-12 month for solid boney growth and would be able to remove the scews after boney healing.

even with all this can not tell you what will be the strength of your chin with a big hook punch.

+2

Yes, a silicone implant can be secured with screws though I never recommend this. No chin implant can be truly secured considering that you are a boxer. The screws tend to be very delicate. Thus, one direct punch to your chin will likely dislodge the screws and possibly the implant. I don't think screw fixation will result in a safer chin implant for you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anchoring A Chin Implant In Place In A Boxer Is Like Tying Down A Chair On The Deck Of The Titanic

+1

The force generated by a hook or an upper cut, or for that matter a straight jab, will displace a chin implant whether it is anchored with a screw or not.  For that matter, if one engages in MMA, being choked out can also lead to implant displacement. 

The reason I know the above is that I have several patients who routinely engage in various forms of martial arts.  I have had implants displaced that were not anchored down.  My second stage procedures on these individuals led me to put in titanium screws, one and sometimes two, through the silicone implants into the anterior mandible.  I learned through bitter experience "don't put chin implants in people who actively train or participate in mixed martial arts".  It's a losing proposition.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon