Silicone Cheek Implant w/ Sutures, No Screws

does this produce a unnatural result because the implant is technically not apart of the bone, but rather just "sewed" into the soft tissue? Also, wouldn't this create dragging and a "heaviness" look that will sag more easily as you age. Basicaly as the cheek tissue inevitably sags, so will the implants sice they are sewed to the cheek and not screwed to the bone. Thanks!

Cheek implants with sutures or with screws?

+3

I have done them both ways. I certainly have more confidence in the implant location when a small, single screw is placed, but have not had problems with implants secured with sutures either. I think it boils down to how confident I am about the pocket position, size, and symmetry. If I made the pocket a bit too large, or if I am not perfectly confident that the pockets are symmtrical, a suture or screw helps me know the implant will be where I want/place it.

As far as sagging is concerned, --I agree with what my colleagues have written-- the capsule that forms around the implant will not allow it to sag or move once formed, and the implants are almost invariably placed directly over the cheek bone so it is held there firmly.

Hope that helps!

Folsom Facial Plastic Surgeon

No! Cheek implants do become part of the bone...

+2

Cheek implants incorporate to the underlying bone thereby becoming part of the skeletal structure.  This is the most common approach and it usually works extremely well.  

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Cheek Implant, Cheek Augmentation, Cheek Enhancement

+2

I have used Cheek Implants for Cheek Augmentation for over 20 years and no, Cheek Implants placed on top of the Cheek Bone do not look unnatural at all if the proper shape and sized Cheek Implant is used. On the contrary, adding volume to your cheek bone by placing a Cheek Implant will help your face age better, not worse. The tissues of the face hang by the Cheek bones, so increasing their volume will better support these tissues against the effects of gravity and aging.

Cheek implants, screwed or not?

+1

Cheek implants may not need be screwed and I believe majority of surgeons do not screw them to the bone. They placed in a pocket over the cheek bone and a suture may keep it there for several days but it is not sutured in there. Scar tissues will eventually keep it there. Ther should be no sagging since it is not part of soft tissues. It is under the soft tissues.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Screws for cheek implants

+1

Cheek implants are placed in a pocket created immediately over bone and fitted to the implant.  I have not found it necessary to use fixation screws in the majority of cases since a properly formed pocket will hold the implant solidly in place against the bone.  In patients with previous trauma and irregularity of bone I will sometimes use fixation screws.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone cheek implants without screws.

+1

The cheek implants are placed in a pocket on the bone and scar tissue keeps it there. It does not sag with time if properly done.

Silicone Cheek Implants Sag With Time?

+1

Silicone cheek implants do not sag with the soft tissue, and here's why:

• During the healing process, a fibrous capsule forms around the implant and then contracts, thereby pushing the implant up against the bone in a tight, immobile pocket.
  • The suture bolsters are only meant to temporary to hold the implants in place during the early healing period. I usually remove the sutures in about a week.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon