Silicone Breast Implants for 8 Years, Now Sore, Swollen and Fluid Around Implant

I have had my silicone breast implants for 8 years already. A week ago I started to feel my left breats very sore and now is swolen. I had an ultrasound as per my doctor's order, and they told me that they saw some fluid around my implant and that this was causing my breast to hurt and to be swolen. They told me that it was probably just some fluid that my body produced due to a bad movement of the muscle and that my body should reabsorve it. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Swollen breasts

+1

I would suggest that you see your plastic surgeon and have your fluid evaluated. A needle could be inserted under radiology guide and take a sample of the fluid. Developing fluid around the breast implant this far out from surgery is not normal, and needs to be evaluated.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fluid Around Breast Implants?

+1

It would be in your best interest to be seen and followed by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

You may need to have  the fluid aspirated for diagnostic purposes. Depending on the nature of the fluid for the treatment can be determined.

Post augmentation swelling

+1
Without examining you and the chance to get more history, I think time will tell. Keep in contact with ur Plastic surgeon. I might be inclined to check a WBC count and have a radiologist remove some fluid (with a needle) for evaluation of the fluid around ur implant if your condition doesn't change soon. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

+1

What did the operative surgeon say to the ultrasound report? Yes you have an issue that needs to be treated. Either see your surgeon ASAP or obtain other opinions ASAP. 

You need to have further evaluation

+1

The swelling after 8 years is a indicator of problem .You need to more evaluation and possible implant removal. Needle aspiration will help the diagnosis,but you will end up exchanging or removing the implants. sooner ,better

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fluid around a breast implant

+1

You need a second opinion.  There are many causes for late seroma (fluid around the implant).  Most of them benign, some of them worrisome.  You may need a sample of this fluid or the capsule around the implant to be sent to pathology to make the diagnosis.  Not to scare you, but there is a type of lymphoma (ALCL) that can have a similar presentation that should be ruled out.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

See Your Doctor!

+1

This is an area getting a lot of attention in the plastic surgery literature. New onset of swelling or fluid around an implant needs to be evauated/examined/treated by your doctor. You could have an infection and if the fluid and swelling does not resolve, drainage may be necessary. In addition, your doctor wil need to consider evaluation of the capsule around the implant. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon