Silicone Breast Implants for 6 Years and Now They're Aching. Are They Leaking?

i have had silicone breast implants for almost 6 years. I have had 2 children and breastfed them both with no problems. I stopped breastfeeding 2 months ago. In my right breast i feel alot of aching what feels like around the edges of the implant, im not sure if this down to stopping breastfeeding or could the implant be leaking? I'm getting a little worried incase the implant is leaking as im not sure what to look out for. The right breast is fuller than the left, i have no problems in the left.

Breast implant rupture or capsular contrature

+2

The FDA advises that you obtain an MRI after 3 years and every 2 years thereafter. Technically you should have obtained 2 MRI's by now. If not you should discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon. You could have a rupture or an early capsular contracture.

Breast Implant Rupture after Breast Feeding

+1

The only way to determine if you have a rupture of your gel implants is to have an MRI performed. It is possible that you have developed some capsular contracture of your breasts resulting in discomfort. When breast feeding did you have any episodes of mastitis which can precipitate capsular contracture. An exam by your plastic surgeon is certainly indicated.

Richard Linderman, MD

Implants leaking

+1

The only way to be sure whether or not your gel implants have leaked is to get an MRI.  This will give the answer.

Breast Implant Pain after Breast Feeding

+1

The pain is most likely not from the implants.  It would be unusual, the newer implants are leaking less.  I recommend getting an ultrasound of the breast just to be sure.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon