Will 450 Cc's Silicone Implants Make a B Cup to a D Cup?

I am 135 lbs, 5'7" tall. I was told that 450cc's in each breast will bring me from a B to a D. Is this correct?

450 cc implants - how do cc's translate to cup size?

+6
450 cc breast implants will be quite large. if your goal is a natural appearing result you may want to consider smaller breast implants. I have attached a link to my breast augmentation before and after gallery so you can get a sense of what I believe to be natural looking results from breast augmentation. 

Over and over I hear patients remark, after reviewing some of our `before and after' photos, that they had no idea that a breast augmentation could look so natural. It can, and in my opinion it should. Having practiced plastic surgery in the 'breast augmentation capital of the world' (Los Angeles), and having performed hundreds of breast augmentations a year in North Carolina for patients who are seeking a breast enhancement that looks like it actually is a natural part of their body, I have developed some fairly strong opinions about this operation.
The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.
The size of the implant is very important, but most important is selecting a surgeon with expertise in creating a natural looking result by creating the ideal pocket, selcting the ideal size and shape of an implant for a woman.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizing isn't exact

+3

There is no exact way to translate implant volume into a cup size but roughly 210-240 cc's will equal a cup size so 450 should equate to about 2 cup sizes. As we have said repeatedly on this site, go for what will give you the "look" you want and let the cup size just follow that. Don't fixate on the letter.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

B to D cup breast implants

+2

First some questions:

1. How old are you?
  2. Reproductive History?
  3. Did you nurse?
  4. Quality of breast skin and size of areolae?
  5. Are your breasts pendulous?

Questions about cup size depend upon individual concepts of balence, equilibrium and harmony (esthetic). In my experience in 35 yrs, I would use something smaller - REMEMBER: today's asset is tomorrow's deficit.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size to move from B to D cup

+1
There is not a direct correlation between breast implant size and cup size as the cup size varies greatly among companies and even within the same company. Moreover, cup size can vary based on who is performing the measurement.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Will 450cc's silicone implants make a B cup to a D cup?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

It will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant choices

+1

It ia hard to say if a 450 cc implant is the right size for you, it probably would put you into the large D size, but without an exam it is hard to say.

Probably too big!

+1

To Jen Bubblegum,

Hi! All the guess work can be taken out! Show your surgeon a picture of D cup breasts that you think are great.

Then, DURING surgery, what I do is put in disposable implant SIZERS. Then we try different volumes to see which size produces the look you want, or as close to it as possible. Then, and only then, we open the correct permanent implants. This step takes only a few minutes, and a sizer only costs $45. So it is really worth it.

As a guess, I would say you need 350 cc implants. But that is just an educated guess. That's the point of the sizers: no guess.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)