Silicone Implants Tightness and High Placement

I had silicone implants with a breast lift one week ago. I had my 15 year old saline implants removed and a small amount of capsular contraction repaired.

The implants are currently placed extremely high and feel tight. I am concerned that they will not drop to a more naturally-looking position. They barely move when I do the implant manipulation exercises (pushing them down and inward) that the doctor told me to do. Is this normal and is it likely that they will drop?

Breast Implants and a lift

+1

If they are smooth walled implants, and they were placed behind the muscle for the first time, the muscle may be in spasm and it may take a few weeks for the breast to return to the lower position that they started out in after surgery. Massage may help and certainly time should.

Maybe you had more contracture than you thought

+1

After 15 years you probably had pretty considerable scarring/contracture in there. Lack of softness at this stage is not a good sign. See your surgeon so you can get better guidance as to what might be done here.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, I don't think they will come down.

+1

To dbo2005,

Hi. You would not believe how common this problem is, based on the RealSelf questions that I answer. It is unfortunately largely a myth that implants somehow "settle". They usually don't. I say this because I have done many hundreds of breast augmentations. Implants need to be low enough, and breasts need to look great RIGHT after surgery. Otherwise, they probably won't later.

What I recommend is putting the operating table into a sitting position BEFORE the end of surgery (you are still asleep, of course). That way, I can see if the size and shape and symmetry are as good as they can be, and I can see if the implant pockets are low enough. If not, we keep working. So there is no guess work.

So I hate to tell you stuff you naturally don't want to hear, but you will probably need a revision in a few months to lower the implant pockets.

My last point is controversial, but, based on my experience, I don't think massage helps.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Too early

+1

Please wait. You just had your surgery and still have a lot of swelling. It may take up to 3-6 months to see the final result.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after silicone implants and lift

+1

One week is a very small part of the post-opertive healing and recontouring that will take place over the next 3-6 months. You also have newer implants so be patient and remember that  lift means high.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon