MP or HP Breast Implants for Less Rippling?

I am 5 foot 3 and 92 lbs. I currently have moderate plus smooth round gel implants but am now considering switching to high profile. Since I was flat prior to my Breast augmentation without breast tissues, I am concerned that High Profile implants will overstretch or thin out my breasts and cause damage to the chest wall in the long run. What do you think? I have heard different views in terms of rippling and am now very confused. Which Silicone implant profile ripples less? I hope to hear agreeing opinions at leas.

Rippling and implant profile

+3

Hi,

I've used many different types of breast implants, and I have not seen a difference in rippling between moderate plus versus high profile implants. I would agree with one of my colleagues on this forum that moderate implants and textured implants do seem to be associated with slightly more rippling. The amount of rippling you may see is also influenced by how much tissue is covering the implants. Since you are very thin, I would recommend having the implants placed beneath your chest muscle for better coverage and therefore less potential for obvious rippling. Moving to a high profile implant may stretch out your skin a bit more, so you should consider if you are willing to accept this in return for more projection with the higher profile. Good luck.

The enemy of good is better...

+3

The biggest factor that reduces rippling is tissue coverage ---it is not the implant!

Putting high profile implants in someone who was "flat" is a recipe for tissue thinning and implant visibility, be that rippling or even the edges of a non-rippling implant.

High profile implants have their role for reconstruction after mastectomy, but in a 90 pound woman it is a prescription for a round, fake look, and tissue thinning over time which will be unable to conceal the presence of underlying implants.

I don't know what size you are now...but if you were sized appropriately for your tissues, then you should not change your implants simply for size.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

They all ripple the same

+2

There is no difference in the rippling of different implants. Because you have so little breast tissue over the implant is the reason that the ripples are evident. Going to a high profile implant will stretch the overlying breast tissue more where the implant is. The more pressure the implant places on the breast tissue the thinner it will get as well as thinning of the ribs.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and implants

+2

Rippling occurs because there is not enough soft tissue coverage over the implants. Sometimes products like Alloderm can be sued to add another layer between the implant and skin to camouflage the rippling. Larger implants only temporize things. Sometimes overfilled saline implants correct the problem but the implants feel harder.

Little difference between these two profiles

+2
I definitely feel the moderate profile implants ripple more than the moderate plus and high profile implants but I am not convinced there is a significant difference between the moderate plus and the high profile.
If you are trying to improve the rippling present with your moderate plus by increasing the profile I will caution against this. The problem I assume you are having is more likely related to the breast tissue and skin than the implant.
A high profile implant with the same base diameter is going to have a greater fill volume which will place more tension on the skin and breast tissue. This may look better initially but will give you more problems down the road as the overlying tissue continues to stretch and thin making the implant more apparent over time.
I would return to your Plastic surgeon and get their opinion on how to address your specific concerns.

I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Both Moderate PLUS profile and high profile breast implants prevent rippling.

+2

Hi! I think I have answered another question of yours. You don't say why you want to change implants. Here are some facts:

1) I have seen rippling with textured implants. I don't use these.

2) "Moderate" profile round, smooth walled silicone gel breast implants can cause rippling because they are really low profile, and they are under filled. I don't use these either.

3) We have not seen rippling with either moderate plus profile or high profile implants, and these are the ones we use. Between these two, we make the choice based on the dimensions of your chest and breasts, and on the size we want to make you.

4) You sound really narrow, so high profile (shorter base) implants may well be appropriate for you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tissue coverage is more of an issue than implant profile

+1

The things that increase the possibility of implant rippling are quality of breast tissue, type of implant (saline vs silicone), location of implant (above or below muscle).

The quality of breast tissue is something a patient has very little control over. Placing silicone implants, below the muscle (in my opinion) decreases the chance of developing rippling. The profile of the implant has more to do with projection and shape of the breast. High profile, more projection and rounder shape.

I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so both of you can make the appropriate decision on how best to proceed.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Why go to high profile implants?

+1

You don't mention why you want to go to high profile implants. Going to high profile implants will not make rippling better. The main reason to go to high profile implants is to narrow the diameter of the implants so they "fit" on your chest better. If an implant is too wide for your chest, it can go too far under your arm. This doesn't look good. If your implants are placed under the muscle and fit on your chest, there is no reason to go to high profile implants.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant and Rippling

+1

Dear Imnyc

You ask a very good question in regards to all breast implants- whether saline or silicone and shape of the implants. The bottom line is that if you have very thin breast tissue then the visible or palable rippling of the breast implant is likely no matter what type of implant in used. If you change to a high profile implant you will most likely end up with a very prominen and round shaped breast- more visibly augmented than a 'natural' shape of breast and no change in the rippling.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Silicone implants and rippling

+1

Unfortunately, rippling is something that all implants my do regardless of what kind you get. If the skin is stretched out too much with either HP implants or very large ones then yes, you may feel the rippling more. Nonetheless, as your swelling goes away and the implants settle you may feel rippling. This is true even if you get the implants underneath the muscle. When rippling does happen it's usually painless. However, if the rippling is caused by severe scar tissue, you may need the scar tissue removed. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS