Silicone Breast Implants Causing Joint Issues?

I LOVE the look of my silicone implants but my breast are always sore and I think they are making me sick. Since the surgery I have had major joint issues in my legs and arms. Is this possible and what other options do I have?

Relationship between breast implants and joint issues possible

+2

Silicone gel breast implants although now again FDA-approved are still subject to controversy. There are the patients who report unusual symptoms as you describe who request the removal of their implants on occasion. Some of those patients improve.

Whether or not replacement with saline implants is reasonable is also debatable. I have had patients request the removal of breast implants and have complied. Some of these women (as I mentioned) have improved.

This is something to consider with your surgeon and maybe an evaluation with a rheumatologist would be helpful as well. Because of your health plan you might have to start with your primary care doctor before being referred to a rheumatologist.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

May be causing your joint pains

+2

The FDA has looked at exactly this issue as well as many other with silicone implants and were not able to find any significant correlation between arthritic and immunologic disease and silicone implants.

That being said, I have had patients who have complained of a number of symptoms that they felt were related to their implants including chronic pain, arthritis, and headaches. With removal of the implants I have had a couple of patients report that the symptoms have improved. Was this a physical problem or was it all in their head from worry about silicone implants. For me, whether this is physical or psychological doesn't really matter if the symptoms have improved.

Talk to your plastic surgeon and don't forget to discuss it with your primary care physician, there may be something else going on.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/utah/breast/augmentation

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Please follow up with your surgeon and your primary doctor

+2

There is no conclusive scientific data which suggest that silicone breast implants are responsible for symptoms beyond the breast.

it would be prudent to follow up with your breast surgeon re the soreness of your breasts.

Also you should see your primary doctor who may ultimately refer you to a rheumatologist for evalaution of your sore joints.