Can I Get Silicone Breast Implants if Im Under 21 but Have Asymmetrical Breasts?

+1

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA  mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Unfortunately, the use of these implants for these younger patients will negate the breast implant manufacturer warranty.

Of course you can have silicone implants!

+1

First of all, you should understand that you don't "need" to be judged "severely asymmetrical" in order to receive silicone gel implants.

Silicone implants under the age of 22 are perfectly legal and appropriate for patients who have fully informed consent, and understand that use of silicone implants under the age of 22 is considered "off-label" by the FDA.

Off-label use is something that every doctor does frequently, when a medication is prescribed for another reason than the primary FDA-approved indication. For example, Botox is approved for cosmetic use only for the frown muscles between the brows. I suspect that virtually every physician who uses Botox ALSO uses it for crows feet expression lines, forehead lines, and other areas as well. This is an example of "off-label" use. We're not breaking the rules, we are simply making an informed medical choice in conjunction with our properly-informed patient.

So , yes, it's possible; yes, it's legal; and I do this for my patients who are properly informed and choose that option.

You need to talk to a few other ABPS-certified plastic surgeons; especially those who support the right of properly-informed patients between the ages of 18 and 22 to consent and request the implants of their choice. I do. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants

+1

The FDA has put an age limit on who can receive silicone implants. You have to wait until you are 22 years old.

The current FDA requirement is age 22

+1

The current FDA requirement for silicone gel implants is that you must be 22 years of age.  You are so close, so just wait.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Age minimun is 22 for silicone implants.

+1

As of November of 2006, women over the age of 22 years old are eligible to receive silicone breast implants under the guidelines established by the FDA.  

+1

Thanks for the photo posted. It is best to see a boarded Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss the use of silicone implants. In MIAMI I would approve the use. Regards Dr. Darryl J. Blinski