Silicone Breast Implants Done in 1972. Recent MRI Completed - Remove or Leave Alone?

MRI:Rt Breast-small zone of posterior contained intracapsular implant rupture,subcentimeter area.No evidence for parenchymal silicone or gel bleed.Medial capsular contracture & water density infiltration but no rupture.Left Breast-Definite positive keyhole findings of contained intracapsular implant rupture w/out evidence for parenchymal silicone deposition. Both-No evidence for implant collapse.What is potential of en-Bloc removal w/no breakage,fully clean area&replace w/new silicone implants?

Is it possible to remove a ruptured silicone implant which is confined to the capsule without silicone contamination of tissues.

+2
I have removed many old silicone implants without contaminating the tissues. If one can make a large enough incision, it is easier to remove the capsule and the implant without opening the capsule. If I try to remove the implant through the insertion scar, I separate most of the capsule from the tissues then pack a pad around it to prevent contamination, open the capsule, remove the implant material and finally remove the capsule.
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant failure

+2

Failure of the implant is an indication to have it removed and replaced.  For extracapsular rupture, this is a more pressing issue.  Intracapsular rupture can cause capsular contracture, breast distortion, and can progress to extracapsular rupture.  Removing all of the implant material requires careful capsulectomy.  The capsule is removed with the implant and material contained within the capsule. 

Read my blog post below for more details on silicone implant rupture.

Dr. York Yates - Utah.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/utah/breast/augmentation/silicone-breast-implant-rupture/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Intracapular rupture of silicone implants

+1

Although an intracapsular silicone implant rupture will not necessarily result in silicone leaking through out your body, it is recognized that silicone rupture will result in silicone molecules in the capsule promoting capsule thickness that will eventually deform your breast. It is a good idea to remove any ruptured implants as soon as possible.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Old ruptured silicone gel implants

+1

It is advisable to have the implants removed, and replaced if desired, if they are ruptured.  old implants were of poorer quality and often had liquid silicone inside them rather than the semi-cohesive silicone now used.

Often, if women have gained weight over the years and their breast size is larger, it is possible to remove the implants completely and perform a breast lift.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php

Ruptured Silicone Implants

+1

The potential for en-bloc removal of the implants is higher if they were placed above the muscle. Nonetheless, whether or not en bloc removal is possible, if there is a diagnosis of silicone implant rupture you should have the implants removed.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Silicone Breast Implants Done in 1972. Recent MRI Completed - Remove or Leave Alone En bloc

+1

In simple terms the possiblity of removing the vast majority (but not 100%) of the silicone remains an option. However, please realize that a ruptured implant should be identiifed and removed.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

Breast augmentation implant rupture

+1

With your MRI result I would recomend an enBloc removal and probable replacement with a new implant.  Leaving the implant out will lead to excessive sagging of the skin.  Size of implant chosen may differ depending on the measurements of chest diameter, which may have changed after all of these years.  

Wishing you all the best

Bilateral Implant Ruptures

+1

Dear Roses7,

Silicon gel implants that have ruptured, should be surgically removed once the problem is identified.

The goal is to always remove both the failed implant(s), and also as much of the tissue capsule that surrounds the implant- this is termed a capsulectomy.  The goal in this procedure is to remove the tissue, and the failed implant with the least amount of spillage of the silicone gel as is technically possible. The smaller the incision that is made the more difficult the procedure becomes. 

I hope this helped,

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, M.D., F.A.C.S.

MRI findings shows breast implant rupture

+1

Given your MRI findings I would recommend implant exchange with capsule removal.  En bloc would be the goal but it is very difficult not to break the capsule.  That, however, is not a reason to worry or delay the surgery.

The implants are old, they have a rupture, and you do have a capsular contracture.  Exchange for new implants that should last long(er) now will give you a piece of mind that you do not have a leaking implant.  It will also give you the opportunity to have the capsular contracture corrected.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Likelihood of intact implant and capsule removal

+1

Roses,

The likelihood of en bloc intact removal of your implants and capsules together is not great.  However, since the implants are both leaking, they should be removed.  Violation of the capsule during removal doesn't exclude immediate replacement.  New implants can indeed be placed at the time of removal even if some silicone spills out.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://francisnyplasticsurgery.com/breast_aug.asp