Saline to Silicone Breast Implants for 18 Year Old?

I was small c/full b on one breast and small b on the other. I got saline implants a month ago with 350 on one side 275 on larger side. they feel hard and i can feel the implant in the breast esp on my smaller breast. If this will be the case i will take them out b/c i wouldnt want to shy away from being with a guy because hell go and tell his friends i had a boob job. not wat i want going round. Could i get smaller silicone b/c i had asymmetry and reconstruction b/c my breasts stretched out?

Saline Implants to Silicone Implants: Why and When?

+1

Some patients having saline implants find that they are firm and feel less natural than silicone.  However, there are some advantages of saline that some patients like.  They contain only salt water, so MRI scans are not needed as time passes.  Saline implants in general sit higher with more fullness than many of the silicone implant types used commonly.  Saline implants can be placed through smaller incisions, including the belly-button. 

On the other hand, more patients are choosing silicone implants for the natural look and feel.  They are safe, FDA approved, and long lasting.  In my practice, patients are age 22 or over, as we follow FDA guidelines for elective, cosmetic implant use.

Sillicone breast implant augmentation surgery in 18-22 year old

+1

Due to FDA regulations, there are few surgeons who would place silicone implants in an 18 year old unless a true deformity exists.

+1

Even during the time when breast implants of silicone were not allowed by the FDA for primary breast augmentations they were allowed for women who had saline implants and had problems such as rippling. Since you already have saline implants and are having problems with them you are really more of a secondary or reconstructive case and I feel you would be able to obtain the silicone implants in this instance. This is a discussion you need to have with a board certified plastic surgeon during a consultation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

18 year old options for breast implant reconstruction - revision

+1

The rules about saline implants for women younger than 22 are rather arbitrary. The final decision is always in the doctor's hands. At this point I would consider this a reconstructive issue and consider silicone implants. Discuss this with your doctor or if he is not comfortable with that he may consider a second opinion

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Silicone exchange in an 18 year old

+1

I think that the FDa requirement for being at least 22 years of age to obtian silicone implants still holds up even with reconstruction. You can check with the implant company.

Silicone implants

+1

Unfortunately not.  There is a minimum age requirement on silicone implants to be 22 by the FDA.  You are best waiting until you reach that age then having your implants exchanged.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implants for women younger than 22?

+1

Short answer: NO. 

Long answer: No, but... as previously discussed, breast implant manufacturers added the restriction that silicone implants be limited to use in women older than 22 years of age in order for the reintroduction of silicone breast implants to be approved by the FDA.  There were many reasons for that decision, none important to discuss in this question. 

For a woman who has already had a saline breast augmentation and is unhappy with the result, and with an informed discussion with her plastic surgeon, replacement of her saline implants with silicone implants is a reasonable option. It would be important that she is educated about the differences between saline and silicone and all her questions were answered prior to surgery. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Silicone use in a woman under 22

+1

Josey,

When silicone implants were approved by the FDA in Nov 2006 they recommended that a woman be 22 years olf to have silicone. If silicone is used in someone less than 22 it is considered off lablel use and could theoretically void the warranty with the company. That having been said, silicone has been used silicone in younger women only after a long and detailed conversation about those issues and if it is felt that that is the best choice for them based on their examination.

I would recommend you have a discussion with your plastic surgeon about your concerns.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS