Silicone Breast Implant Size and Projection Advice?

I really need help. I am 5'5" 110, with 13 bwd 30 chest. I don't know which breast implants I should get from the following:

• 500cc hp 13.0 by 5.2 projection ALLERGAN
  • 500cc hp 13.2 by 5.3 projection MENTOR
  • 492cc mod profile 14.0 by 4.6 projection ALLERGAN
  • 457cc mod profile 13.7 by 4.5 projection ALLERGAN

All are silicone implants that will be placed under the muscle.

Those are way to big for you

+3

Every implant you mention is too large for your tissue. You must decide whether you want an implant that fits your tissues or whether you want to ignore your tissues and get an implant that will look unnaturral and stretch/damage your tissue over time.

I cannot tell you what size is right without taking all of your measurements.

And you cannot decide whether to violate your own tissues without understanding the consequences.

The best source of information on this is in the book, The Best Breast, by Tebbetts and Tebbetts. Order their book from Amazon or go to their website, thebestbreast.com.

Silicone Implants for 5'5", 110lb Woman

+2

I so love these questions because it just reinforces how much I help guide my patients and how little other surgeons do. Okay, so the first thing to address is how much breast tissue you have now. If you're a "C" cup then any of these implants will make you look , well let's just say "professional." Even with an "A" cup you will look very large with any of these implants. At 5'5" and 110lbs you must have a very slim frame.

So here's how you decide what size implant you want. First, decide on what you want to project to the public. With 500cc implants you will not be proportionate but will project an image. Next, if you just want to be proportionate so that you look natural than you'll have to take a sports bra to your surgeons office, try on some sizers and hopefully with his help you can come to an aesthetically appealing decision.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+2

Hi, unfortunately, the implants you've mentioned are too wide for the base width of your breast. We generally like to use implants with a width about 1 cm less than the base width of the breast. Using a high profile implant helps to give you a larger size while using an implant that will fit into your tissues. The problem with using an implant larger than 12 cm width in your body is that your tissues just won't be able to accomodate them over time. In addition, if a large implant is forced to fold on itself secondary to a space too small for it, there is a higher risk of the implant leaking at the site of the fold. I would suggest addressing your desire for a large size with your surgeon, who can help you to find the right implants. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Implant sizing is a combination of your measurments, existing breast tissue and your desire

+2

I am sorry but it is not a simple answer. Sizing is a combination of an experienced breast surgeon taking your measurements, evaluating your breast tissue and discussing your desires with you. Many times in that discussion a surgeon will talk about "trade-offs". Sometimes given certain measurements and the quality of the overlying tissue, it may not be possible to realistically achieve your goals in a safe manner. For example if a patient starts with a very tight overlying skin/breast envelope in a narrow chest it sometimes is not possible to deliver as full a result as some patients wish. If patients and surgeons use devices that are too big for the breast measurements and tissues there may be an increased risk of problems over time. Similarly if a device is used that is much narrower than the base diameter there can be aesthetic trade offs or if the device is shaped then a potential increased risk of rotation.

Of the devices you list, the 500 cc HP Allergan device may be appropriate. It depends on your tissues and your aesthetic desires. Since HP devices have increased projection there needs to be enough compliance or stretch of your tissues to accommodate the projection. In thin patients with little tissue thickness in the upper portion of the breast there may be more visibility of the edge of the device and a less natural result.

Your surgeon can review these "trade-offs' and help you select the device that comes the closest to get all your wishes/desires and expectations accomplished in a safe healthy manner.

John E. Gross, MD

Base diameter is king

+2

A lot of the answer to this question depends on the type of look you want after the procedure. Most women do not want a lot of lateral or outside fullness. If this is the case, then you want to keep the implant base diameter close to your own breast base diameter. Also, the over all size of the implants you are looking at is above average for a women of your height and weight. This is a significant size increase.

By the selection of implants that you have given I would recommend the high profile implant with the 13 cm base diameter. Any thing more that this will cause the outer aspect of your breast to be rather wide.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

+1

I currently use the Mentor implants and like the appearance acheived with a HP silicone implant. However, these are very comparable and you will not likely see much of a difference in the results.

Try breast implants on for best simulation

+1

All the implants that you are looking at are so close in size that you could pick any one and look practically the same. Don't get lost in the minute differences as they will not make a difference in how you look later. Try the implants on to get a good idea of how they might look when you are done. In general, based on your numbers, these implants seem too big for your frame. You can select large implants as long as you understand the additional risks that come with that choice. Ask your surgeon about the additional risks and get his opinion.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Sizing

+1
Hi there,
It is really difficult to tell you which implant would work for your body. Simply going by the sizes you have given us here, I can tell you that you might be going a tad bit too large for what your body and frame can handle. It really should be the job of your plastic surgeon to tell you how large you can go and what would be best for your body (unless this is what he has told you). Otherwise you will have problems and higher chance of capsular contracture (hardening of the breast capsule) in the long term.
I would recommend you leave it up to your plastic surgeon or atleast get another opinion to see what would be best for you. I also recommend trying as what I describe as the rice test which will help you get any idea of what size and how big you want to go. It doesnt always mean that is what you can put in, but gives you and idea of the look you will have after surgery. I describe this on my journal section on my website.
Good luck. Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Silicone breast implant size and projection advice for 5'5", 110 pds woman

+1

First, a general comment about your choices. They are so close together in volume and dimensions that I doubt it will make a great deal of difference. I remember a study done several years ago where they had independent evaluators look at round versus oval implants. The oval implants are narrower, but taller, with better projection. To the investigators surprise, as well as mine (I was a big fan of oval implants), neutral observers couldn't tell wether the implants were round or oval. So much for fine tuning the appearance of implants!

Whether these implants are large or not for you, don't let anybody override your instincts. Ultimately, you have to be happy with them. The biggest source of implant dissatisfaction are size issues, and patients usually wish they had gone larger!

As far as your frame, a moderate profile implant will look more "spread out" like a normal breast, whereas a high profile implant will be more perky. With your body frame and weight your implants will look like implants, because there is not a lot of tissue surrounding and disguising the shape of the implant. I have done a lot of patients like you and they love the look. I have to say it is not my taste, but then again I am not the one wearing them.

Since you are going big, I suggest you consider other factors such as positioning, which ultimately have a lot to do with appearance of the implant. Check the blog post below to see a comparison of different implant positionings.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Sizing implants

+1

These implants are too big for you by the measurements of your body that you are giving. The diameter of your chest is only one factor in choosing an implant size. You have to take into consideration your tissue coverage and skin tone. If you go with too large of an implant, which these are, you will get early implant sagging and will stretch out the lower part of your breasts. You should not be choosing your implant on your own. These are too many choices left for you to choose from. This is an exercise done by your surgeon. Make sure you have all your body and tissue measurements taken and that should result in a much smaller implant that you are currently considering. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD