FDA Approval for Silicone Breast Implants in 18-year-old Women?

Is there any way the FDA can approve silicone breast implants for 18 year olds? The plastic surgeon I consulted with told me that the FDA may be able to approve silicone for me because I have thin skin and the saline may cause rippling. Is this realistic?

Sil;icone breast implants for patients under the age of 18.

+1

Dr. Glasberg has stated my basic understanding of the current situation. I have only one other clarification. It is my understanding that for reconstructive cases in which there is either a congenital or acquired deformity, silicone implants can be considered for use in individuals under the age of 18. Since that is not your particular situation, it is not likely that you could recieve silicone implants under the current regulations. Your options are to wait or consider modest sized, round, smooth higher profile implants to minimize rippling.

FDA approval for Silicone Implants in women under 22

+1

Currently, the FDA has only approved implants for women aged 22 and above. The only way for a woman to get silcone implants presently between the ages of 18 and 22 is to be part of a study. The only active studies are those relating to cohesive gel (silicone) implants. These studies are approved for women 18 years of age and older. There are prinicipal investogators in these studies around the country. For example, I am presently a Prinicipal Investogator in the Mentor Contour Profile Gel (CPG) Implant Study.

Scot Bradley Glasberg, MD