Silicone Breast Augmentation Under the Pectoral Muscle, Is it Possible for them to Still Drop 1 Year Post-Op? (photo)

Dear Doctors, I had a silicone breast augmentation under the pectoral muscle (34 B to full C) about a year ago. The implant hasn't dropped and they're still very high. My breasts/nipples are very pointy. Also, my nipples seem like they are pointing toward the ground. Nipples aren't supposed to be like that. Is there a way for my implants to drop even after a year of surgery? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Disappointed.

Your implants will not change

+2

Your implants are to big for your breast tissue and chest wall and will not settle any more. Lower pole of your breast is tight and limits the migration of the implants. The best solution is to get smaller implants and most patient do not want to hear that.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon

+1
Please see your surgeon to express your disappointment, because at one year after your surgery you will most likely require revision surgery to achieve your expectations. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Geting 1 year post-op submusclular implants to drop

+1

At a year postop, at least you are past the point where your tissues are trying to contract.  The most immediate remedy would be to surgically release your lower pockets.  Short of that, you could still try some aggressive upper implant compression exercises to stretch the lower capsule and muscle.  If you are also hard, some have had improvement with oral glucosamine/chondroitin to improve capsular contracture.  The chances of this are slim, but if you are trying to avoid surgery may be worth a try.  Smaller implants may not correct this and could be disappointing, depending on how you like your present size.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Implants high after a year

+1

Unfortunately they will not drop at this point. It could be a capsule has formed around the implant but irrespective, it appears that you will have to undergo a revision. The good news is that it is not an unsurmountable problem. Sorry!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Implants Too High?

+1

If breast implants are too high after a year then you need some type of surgical revison. It may be possible to re-position the implants by lowering the inferior aspect of the implant pockets. A couple of factors come into play such as the level of the infra-mammary incisions, if you had them, and the quality and thickness of the soft tissue in the lower aspect of your breasts. If your implants feel quite firm then it is possible that you have capsular contracture, or excess scar tissue around the implants, which keeps them too high and this could respond to capsulectomy. Another option would be to perform a breast lift to elevate the nipples but the trade-off is the surgical scar. Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you regarding the best option.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant unlikely to drop after one year

+1

Your breast is rather round and projecting, and perhaps you have a high profile breast implant. If your breast is soft and not troubled by a capsular contracture, a smaller implant with a lower profile may give you a result you are looking for.

+1

After a year they really are not going to drop anymore. Usually that happens in the first 3-6 months and closer to 3...Occasionally implants need a little adjustment and your doctor should be able to advise you...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implants at one year

+1

Yoru implants are not going to settle anym ore into the pocket.  They do look a bit high in the photos.  You should discuss this withyour surgeon.

Breast Implants Too High One Year After Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment after breast augmentation surgery.

Although anything is possible, generally breast implants have "settled” as much as are going to buy the first year postop. The fact that your breast implants are sitting relatively high also explains why your nipples are “pointing toward the ground”.

I would suggest that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon to communicate your questions and concerns and to have him/her rule out encapsulation (as a cause for the breast implant “failure to descend”).  Eventually, revisionary surgery may be necessary to lower the breast implant pockets and achieve the results you are looking for.