Silicone Breast Augmentation with a Surgeon Who Mostly Does Saline?

I found a board certified plastic surgeon who I really like in all regards with the exception that his practice is 80% saline and 20% silicone. He does approximately 16 breast augmentations per month and so with that high number he does a fair amount of silicone but still mostly saline. Is the art & technique of placing silicone and saline very different? Should I be at all concerned if I decide to go with him since I will be in the minority of what he normally does?

Saline vs Silicone

+1

If your potential surgeon is Board Certified and you feel comfortable, saline and silicone numbers should not make a difference. Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgeon uses more saline than silicone implants. Important issue?

+1

Aside from reputation and credentials, it is important that you feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon who will be performing your breast augmentation. The plastic surgeon that you mentioned appears to have substantial experience with both saline and silicone breast implants according to the numbers that you stated. Therefore, it is irrelevant which implant that he uses more. Technically, the procedures are essentially identical.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

If you are happy with the surgeon, then you should get good results whether you choose saline or silicone, as it sounds like he has plenty of experience.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant surgeon

+1

Based on what you say, your surgeon should be able to help you regardless if you want saline or silicone implants. If you feel comfortable him, then the types of implants he uses are not much of an issue.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Breast Implants or Saline Breast Implants

+1

If your plastic surgeon does perform silicone breast implants then that means he or she feels comfortable doing so. There are things some plastic surgeons don't feel comfortable doing. For instance, I do not and will not perform breast augmentation using extremely large implants that can look unnatural and potentially cause problems in the future.

If this is your only concern and you feel great about your plastic surgeon go ahead and proceed with your breast augmentation surgery. But, if you have any doubt, investigate other plastic surgeons and possibly schedule another consultation.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant Surgeon

+1

If your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeon and you feel comfortable with him/her and you like his before/after pictures, then you've found your surgeon.   The percentage mixture of Saline/Silicone Gel should not make any difference. Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant surgeon

+1

If your surgeon gets good reults and you are happy with him, then he should be fine with silicone even though he does more saline implants.

Choose your surgeon based on results and experience.

+1

Weather the surgeon does more saline or silicone implants does not mean he/she is not experienced or good at silicone.  A lot of patients prefer saline implants over silicone for many reasons, primarily the price difference.  The best thing to do is to ask to see before and after photographs so you can see their work.  Make your decision based upon the results you see. 

Saline vs silicone breast implants-surgeon preference

+1

If you found a plastic surgeon that performs a high volume of breast augmentations, it should not matter much that the surgeon prefers saline.  The technique is quite similar for both types of implants and you should expect similar results with each.  What you need to determine is why does your surgeon do 80% saline and 20% silicone.  Is this being driven by the surgeon or by the patients? For example, I perform about 80% silicone and 20% saline.  This choice is being made primarily by the patients, not by me. The risks and benefits of each implant need to be explained in detail to each patient before an informed decision can be made.  Basically, most patients choose silicone because it feels more natural than saline.  Silicone costs more and may require MRIs to determine leaks/ruptures.

Ask you surgeon which implant is best for YOU and your unique anatomy. Don't be too concerned with the implants that are being used on the rest of his/her patients.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

+1

Regarding: "Silicone Breast Augmentation with a Surgeon Who Mostly Does Saline?
I found a board certified plastic surgeon who I really like in all regards with the exception that his practice is 80% saline and 20% silicone. He does approximately 16 breast augmentations per month and so with that high number he does a fair amount of silicone but still mostly saline. Is the art & technique of placing silicone and saline very different? Should I be at all concerned if I decide to go with him since I will be in the minority of what he normally does
?"

I think you found your surgeon. Saline breast implants out-sell silicone breast implants in most practices for a variety of reasons the most important being Price (they are a lot cheaper than silicone implants) and a persistent, unrealistic perception that silicone implants are somehow dangerous (nothing could be further than the truth). Rather than trying to convince patients which implants they should choose and risk losing them most surgeons place the type of implants the woman chooses.

As a personable and experienced breast surgeon you need not look elsewhere. Your surgeon will do a great job.

Dr. Peter Aldea